Is there usually significant growth or thickening from months 5 to 9. Also, when did you guys notice significant crown growth

Just curious to some experiences and maybe photos of a significant change from month 5 to 9. Did any of you get a big increase in growth or thickening of hairs. When did the crown really start growing as well? 

• Moderators

From months 5 to 6 and even into month 7 there should be a lot of improvement. From months 7 to 12 is a lot of thickening and maturing. You can even get some minor improvement for several months past month 12, but that will be mostly softening of the hair which will let it blend in better with your natural hair. The timeline varies a bit for everyone.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

As BeHappy mentioned, it differs for everyone. If you are not on finasteride or minoxidil, it may take even longer for you to see results. My transplant only started REALLY coming together after the 8th month, I am now close to the 9th month mark and I see continuous improvement.

Those 'magic-wow' results that you see online where someone goes from chrome-dome to werewolf in 5 months are huge exceptions, not the norm. 

PS The crown quite often only really shows after month 9. I got 1000 grafts in the crown and they are only now starting to grow in proper, they will probably be cosmetically significant around months 10-11. Again, this is with a NW5 pattern, at 41 and no medication. 

• Valued Contributor

Though the outcome and timings varies from person to person and many other factors , from my experience the biggest difference can be seen after 8 months and than from 9th month it will progress slowly and steadily and make the implanted hairs thicker and fuller and on crown it takes around 12 months plus to notice a considerable change..but again it varies from person to person ...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Valued Contributor

For me the real kicker was at month eight. New hairs were still popping up after this and hair became thicker. The scalp donor finally felt like it was going back to looking more like it did pre op. 
As a Norwood 7 I had great growth from month four onwards. But the big change occurred later down the track. 

@Hah6788887,

I would actually say that this is true for the vast majority of patients. In fact, most patients don’t start seeing new signs of hair growth until the 4th or 5th month which is why I always tell people that on average, new growth typically starts between 3 to 5 months.  And since new growth only typically starts around that time, the vast majority of growth and thickening will occur between 5 and 9 months just as you suggested.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:38 AM, Gatsby said:

For me the real kicker was at month eight. New hairs were still popping up after this and hair became thicker. The scalp donor finally felt like it was going back to looking more like it did pre op. 
As a Norwood 7 I had great growth from month four onwards. But the big change occurred later down the track. 

So you didnt have much to show till month 8? You mustve been worried by that point lol was it your crown you did or the hair line

On 5/30/2023 at 8:57 AM, A_4_Archan said:

Though the outcome and timings varies from person to person and many other factors , from my experience the biggest difference can be seen after 8 months and than from 9th month it will progress slowly and steadily and make the implanted hairs thicker and fuller and on crown it takes around 12 months plus to notice a considerable change..but again it varies from person to person ...

That seems super late in the process but I do get that everyone is different so makes sense

• Valued Contributor
7 minutes ago, Hah6788887 said:

So you didnt have much to show till month 8? You mustve been worried by that point lol was it your crown you did or the hair line

No in relation to the topic of the thread month 8 was the real kicker. Growth began at month three and just continued. 👍