Five weeks postop - Recipient Scarring?

Hello all,

Got a question about recipient scarring and whether or not it's a thing.

Here are my 5-week postop photos below.  As you can see, the hairs in the temples have already shed but the skin is rather rough looking, almost as if there are pits and craters all over the recipient area.  Looks particularly bad in bright light.  

Just curious how much this will 'smooth out' (if at all).  Or is there a general roughness (or scarring) that will always existing in the recipient area permanently.

Pic1.png

Pic2.png

• Valued Contributor

People do have redness for long time at recipient area but am not sure about such rough recipient area...did you consult your surgeon abt this?

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

7 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

People do have redness for long time at recipient area but am not sure about such rough recipient area...did you consult your surgeon abt this?

Not yet.  I'll bring it up with them the next time I chat with them.

Under normal lighting you cannot see anything.  Just bright lighting that is shone right onto the scalp (like in the photos above).  Oddly enough, I have zero scarring in the donor area.   Could just be my physiology and having more sensitive skin in one area of my head vs another.

1 hour ago, A_4_Archan said:

@Bucky O Hair I wish its not cobblestoning ...who was the surgeon and please contact him soon

No.  It's not that.  I've seen enough of that to know what that looks like.  l'll send them photos, but I think this is a case of me being too bored and spending too much of the ugly duckling phase looking at my hairline, ha ha.

15 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

No.  It's not that.  I've seen enough of that to know what that looks like.  l'll send them photos, but I think this is a case of me being too bored and spending too much of the ugly duckling phase looking at my hairline, ha ha.

Honestly I admire you for being able to just take a laugh at this stuff. Maybe because I'm such a wimp in these matters. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

It’s hard to say at this stage, it’s very fresh. Even if there is scarring. It won’t be visible once hair starts to grow. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Bucky, the passing of time in the healing process should improve the surface of your scalp in the recipient area and because your procedure is still pretty recent, using some quality aloe vera cream several times per day will definitely help.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 7:07 PM, 2fast2FUErious said:

Any immediate post op pics of the recipient?

No, but the clinic took some.  I should probably ask them for them so I have them for my records too.  I did take some of week 2, 3, and 7.  Not sure if that helps.  

On 5/25/2023 at 11:29 PM, Vann said:

It looks like some abrasion type of scar healing. Could be some minor inflammatory response? I don’t think it’s permanent I had something similar but in a very minor part and my hair grew out. 

do you have any other immediate post op?

No, but here are some from week 2, 3, and 7.  The first one is from week 2, the next couple photos are week 3, and  the last two are week 7 (one in bathroom light, and one in natural sunlight).  It's more noticeable in natural light, or any light where the light source is directly above you (as the shadows really show the inconsistencies in the skin).  

The good news is that I spoke with the clinic and had them look at it in person.  They said it's normal to have visible recipient scarring, and that my skin should look better over the next 12 months (as it will relax). I asked if this was "pitting" but they don't think it's that.  They said the recipient area may still look uneven like this as the skin will have some points of swelling throughout this healing period.    

Week 2:

w2.png

Week 3:

w3.png

w3b.png

Week 7:

w7.png

w7b.png

Edited by Bucky O Hair
  • Like 1

I also still believe that the recipient area will improve over time.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY