Looking for some early pre-HT feedback

@MAL87,

It’s really important to note that the Norwood scale of hair loss is not an exact measurement tool but a guide to be used to determine approximately how much hair loss one has experienced. Most people don’t fit exactly or perfectly on the Norwood scale of hair loss.  So while a classification can help you and your surgeon discuss your hair loss graphically and use it to help plan your surgery, don’t get too hung up on the number you currently fit into. If you haven’t seen it, I suggest taking a look at the following link and then determining for yourself where you think you fall into currently. 

https://www.regrowhair.com/the-hamiltonnorwood-scale/

Keep in mind also that androgenetic alopecia is progressive and will continue as long as your genetics dictate. It is impossible to predict exactly how far this will go but one can make an educated guess by looking at an established hair loss pattern.

Also, I don’t think it is up to forum members to determine which approach is best for you as an actual strategy and plan should be created by the surgeon who is working on you. I understand that you are still researching so this may be confusing at first.

But ultimately, typically those with advanced hair loss are done in two passes at our clinic. While we certainly do large FUE sessions, there is something to be said about waiting to see how the first procedure grows in and heals and how much further your hair loss will continue in an 8 month plus period.  

While Dr. Rahal is very scientific and methodical, he is also very artistic.  Artistry is equally important in determining the final outcome and result.  For example, at our clinic, we will provide you with all the numbers including

* grafts per square centimeters (FU/cm2)

* hairs per square centimeter (H/cm2)

* Area of the scalp to be covered

* total # of grafts

* total # of hairs

* hair count breakdowns

* hair shaft diameter (in microns)

All of these numbers and variables will ultimately determine the result along with placement and angle of the transplanted follicular units, determined by the recipient decisions made by the doctor.  This is where artistry comes in which is determined by skill and experience.

How many grafts that can actually be harvested and transplanted safely during a single procedure and over the course of a lifetime will depend on many factors   Dr. Rahal uses a formula based on each patient’s specific characteristics to determine what t can be safely harvested and transplanted without making the donor area too thin, etc.  

Long story short, in order to provide enough coverage and density in the front and back, you will likely need at least two passes assuming you have enough donor.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

4 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

Sounds like a plan. My advice would be to make sure the planning on the day is done collaboratively and that you're entirely happy with the approach before going ahead.

They'll only really know the hair diameter, hair/follicle ratio and general health of your donor when you're examined in person.

At that point, you can plan with more certainty and make sure that your preferences are understood and catered for.

Eugenix are by all accounts an ethical and skilled team. However, I have seen people comment that planning has seemed less patient involved than is perhaps desirable, so it'll be up to you to take some control over that on the day.

For sure. I know some people have given into clinic recommendations against their own wishes and vice versa, so I fully intend to come to an agreement on the best path forward.

2 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@MAL87,

It’s really important to note that the Norwood scale of hair loss is not an exact measurement tool but a guide to be used to determine approximately how much hair loss one has experienced. Most people don’t fit exactly or perfectly on the Norwood scale of hair loss.  So while a classification can help you and your surgeon discuss your hair loss graphically and use it to help plan your surgery, don’t get too hung up on the number you currently fit into. If you haven’t seen it, I suggest taking a look at the following link and then determining for yourself where you think you fall into currently. 

https://www.regrowhair.com/the-hamiltonnorwood-scale/

Keep in mind also that androgenetic alopecia is progressive and will continue as long as your genetics dictate. It is impossible to predict exactly how far this will go but one can make an educated guess by looking at an established hair loss pattern.

Also, I don’t think it is up to forum members to determine which approach is best for you as an actual strategy and plan should be created by the surgeon who is working on you. I understand that you are still researching so this may be confusing at first.

But ultimately, typically those with advanced hair loss are done in two passes at our clinic. While we certainly do large FUE sessions, there is something to be said about waiting to see how the first procedure grows in and heals and how much further your hair loss will continue in an 8 month plus period.  

While Dr. Rahal is very scientific and methodical, he is also very artistic.  Artistry is equally important in determining the final outcome and result.  For example, at our clinic, we will provide you with all the numbers including

* grafts per square centimeters (FU/cm2)

* hairs per square centimeter (H/cm2)

* Area of the scalp to be covered

* total # of grafts

* total # of hairs

* hair count breakdowns

* hair shaft diameter (in microns)

All of these numbers and variables will ultimately determine the result along with placement and angle of the transplanted follicular units, determined by the recipient decisions made by the doctor.  This is where artistry comes in which is determined by skill and experience.

How many grafts that can actually be harvested and transplanted safely during a single procedure and over the course of a lifetime will depend on many factors   Dr. Rahal uses a formula based on each patient’s specific characteristics to determine what t can be safely harvested and transplanted without making the donor area too thin, etc.  

Long story short, in order to provide enough coverage and density in the front and back, you will likely need at least two passes assuming you have enough donor.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank you for the input! And of course, I won't base my decisions on what others think, but some advice and opinions are always welcomed. 

I am also fully aware that I will need two procedures to achieve my desired results and that's totally fine. 

Again, I appreciate the advice.

Dr. Gur finally got back with the evaluation and proposal below.

Based on his assessment and some feedback, I'm fairly certain I'll go ahead with Eugenix's plan. While I know that Gur does great work, 3,000 grafts isn't terribly much for my stage of loss and makes me think I could possibly need 3 total surgeries vs just 2 with Eugenix. 

GHT Hair Transplant Proposal.jpeg