Dr Gur did not address crown (3200 grafts). Feeling a bit conflicted.

5 days post op. During consultation I was told that the lower crown would be left as I am only 26, though what I imagined to be lower crown must not have been what he had in mind as the crown hasn't really been touched at all. 

I'm feeling conflicted as on one hand it seems to be healing well & at no point have the grafts bulged as I have seen elsewhere. Unsure if this is due to the punch used, but I'm hoping that this is a good thing.

On the other hand, my crown was the thing that bothered me the most, & I'm feeling a bit daft for not going elsewhere to have closer to 4000 grafts so that the crown could have been at least somewhat addressed. I'm feeling like the crown has been left to fit the procedure within 8 hours rather than my best interests & would have rather paid extra for some coverage in this area.

Maybe I'm being irrational. Maybe two smaller sessions are more effective than a larger one, but I feel like an extra 800 grafts or so would have made such a huge difference for me.

I'll definetely be pursuing a second transplant as soon as I can. I was hoping I wouldn't have to wear fibres anymore & I could start playing sports without either a big balt spot or the fear of sweating all the fibres out. This was supposed to be a liberating experience for me & I'm feeling a bit naive. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

9.jpeg

10.jpeg

11.jpeg

12.jpeg

13.jpeg

14.jpeg

15.jpeg

16.jpeg

17.jpeg

18.jpeg

20.jpeg

21.jpeg

30.jpeg

31.jpeg

32.jpeg

33.jpeg

34.jpeg

35.jpeg

36.jpeg

37.jpeg

38.jpeg

40.jpeg

41.jpeg

42.jpeg

44.jpeg

cons.jpeg

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Imo he did the right thing...and just 700-800 grafts don't make any difference on crown..you need to have one more proper session for that...you can address crown later...and you are still young...if you want to maintain your hairs for long than you need to be on medication religiously ....so keep that in mind as well...hairline design and density and evrythng looking good....best of luck ..Happy Growing And keep Updating 

• Like 2

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

if you wanted to cover the whole norwood 5 area in one session you should have opted for fut because with fue you normally split that huge amount of graft you need to move there in at least two sessions

anyways what done is done and you can look into covering the crown in 12 month

It’s pretty standard and safer to approach large graft sessions in two stages. Only a very small handful of surgeons such as Zarev can execute gigasessions  successfully. Gur is a very ethical Dr and working towards getting you an optimal result.

I know it’s a huge inconvenience to have to go through the process twice but long term it’s for the best. Im in that boat myself so I can understand how you feel but trust your Dr and the process.

• Administrators

It’s not possible to cover the entire scalp in one surgery. You’ll need a second session to address the crown. 

Only a few surgeons do gigasession hair transplants, and it depends on your donor.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The design looks perfect. There’s no problem that you did not cover the crown too. You could do it next year with a possible touch up in the front if needed. You are also young and you should wait to see your hair loss progress over this year. 

Many doctors simply hate working on the crown. This is because the crown is a black hole for grafts. It is very hard to estimate the # of grafts needed for the crown from visual observation alone. Whatever your visual observation is, triple that amount. The crown can suck someone's donor count dry. Since the frontal third makes the most difference, any doctor who cares about your donor availability will only focus on the frontal third.

Also the crown develops its 'final form' of MPB much later than the frontal area/hairline. It is hard to predict just much crown loss you will actually have until later in life. For this reason as well, doctors can be hard-pressed to do significant crown work on younger people. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You should NEVER address both the front and crown at the same time, you are wasting grafts and creating a mediocre result. For the best results these two areas should be done in two separate sessions. The main focus should be your front; when people look at you they don’t look on the top of your head keep that in mind 

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed photos. As others said, doc took a conservative approach.

Unfortunately you will have to wait for a full year to evaluate the results. Then you will decide if and when you graft the crown. You may prefer to comb the transplanted hair back and cover the crown for some time or some years before undergoing a new transplant.