Sunlight exposure after hair transplant

Post op- I know you are supposed to avoid direct sunlight when you are outside with a hat, but what about indirect sunlight/sunlight that comes in through your windows while you are recovering?

For post op days 1-10 my windows have been been having a lot of sunlight come through. Is this okay since I am not outside directly under the sun?

5 minutes ago, Ralph kaka said:

Post op- I know you are supposed to avoid direct sunlight when you are outside with a hat, but what about indirect sunlight/sunlight that comes in through your windows while you are recovering?

For post op days 1-10 my windows have been been having a lot of sunlight come through. Is this okay since I am not outside directly under the sun?

Yes you will be fine, no need to worry. You are not going to cause any damage like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunset Dune said:

You need to stay out of all sunlight for first 10-14 days 

Yeah but what about sunlight coming through your windows? just like normal light when you are inside?

@Sunset Dune I am not talking about going outside without a head covering. I am talking about how the brightness of the sun just naturally shines light through all the windows of one's house. Are we just supposed to close all the blinds? Or wear a head covering indoors? @Rahal Hair Transplant @sl @Gatsby @HappyMan2021 you all have been so helpful, any insight into this question would also be so appreciated

Edited by Ralph kaka

• Valued Contributor

@Ralph kaka I avoided the sun with a cap post op for up to maybe six months max. In Summer I always wear a cap to protect my scalp from skin cancer also. Any sunlight coming through a window, etc I honestly don't worry about. Only direct sun outdoors. All the best.

• Wow 1

Thanks @Gatsby have you ever heard of sunlight through the windows damaging people’s grafts? Or is the only risk just the skin discoloration?

i don’t sit directly under a visible stream of sunlight coming into the window, but I don’t close all my window shades compulsively. I just walk around and there is some light inside from outside and that is it. 

Ralph,

You're not going to have any issues with the sunlight from staying indoors, assuming that the windows are closed and you aren't sticking your head out of a crack :-).

But seriously, the only time the sun is going to be an issue is if you are outside for long periods of time without wearing some kind of head covering or sunscreen.  And even then, the worst thing that would happen would be extended post-operative redness.  

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.