No shedding at 1 month

@Sunset Dune,

Well that’s great that you haven’t experienced any hair shedding yet at only one month post-op.  But the shedding of the transplanted hair typically only starts around 4 weeks post-op and can continue up to approximately the 6th week.

Maybe you’ll be one of those lucky individuals who don’t experience any shedding and your transplanted hair will just continue to grow up until maturation.   But, this is very rare and if you do experience a hair shed, this is very normal so don’t be discouraged.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Same goes for me Dunes. :) 

I am at 3 weeks postop and haven't shed anything (other than some hairs that came out with my scabs during my first showering).

I've been lightly rubbing and massaging my recipient in front of the sink to see if any are falling, and it's nothing so far.

I fully expect the two of us to suddenly go bald sometime during the 4-6 week mark, then clutter this forum with photos in panic asking people "Is tHis noRMaL?!!".  

• Like 1

I believe that we all secretly hope that we'll be the fabled 5% that never sheds and just grows out the gate, but it is very rarely the case. Personally, I kept all grafts till the month mark and everything shed between weeks 4-6. If you clear month 2 without shedding any grafts, that's the feat right there :D

The transplanted follicles will go dormant eventually and the grafts will shed…they do this intermittently and should start very soon.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

21 hours ago, gillenator said:

The transplanted follicles will go dormant eventually and the grafts will shed…they do this intermittently and should start very soon.

Out of curiosity...

What percentage of hairs shed when the scabs come off?...versus that 4-8 week period afterward?

It seems like I always had at least one hair attached to a scab that fell off (during that first two week period postop), but once you take that first shower and all those scabs just naturally fall off, you don't really know how much actually had hairs attached.

I ask because I am enjoying my newly transplanted hairline (and am at my current 3 week postop mark), but curious if what I am seeing is just a thinner version of what my actual hair density will look like (since I may have already shed a lot in the shower during that first scab shedding).

Well, there are variations between individuals post-op however the norm is that many of us experience most of the crusts start coming off approximately 2 weeks post-op and most of the graft hair stubble is in each crust…so the graft hair stubble has shed and the follicles will rest for 3-4 months before a new hair shaft emerges…it’s hard to say how many of the grafts shed 2-4 weeks post-op but on average it’s about 60-70 percent.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY