Should I stop oral dutasteride?

Had been on 1 mg oral fin + topical minoxidil for 4 years. Have also tried out PRP, laser, micro-needling etc. Thinning/loss was slow but continuous, so I figured I should try out .5 mg dutasteride. Have now been on it for 6 months. Shedding seems to have slowed down, but I am noticing some marked thinning along my hairline, recession at the temples, and overall less volume. Additionally, many of the hairs in my hairline are now lighter colored, thinner, and less healthy looking. I'm not sure if this can be attributed to the dut or not, and I know dut is stronger than fin so it seems unlikely that fin might actually have been working better, but I am nervous dut is really hurting my hairline/overall density despite slowing down shedding. 

Is it possible dut is worse for my hair/hairline than fin? Should I switch back to fin? Should I stick with dut for a full year? 

Any and all advice is appreciated. 

6 months might still be too early to tell. 

In any case, don't pin me down on this, I vaguely remember this so please somebody chime in here but in short there's this thing where with some people dut might be less effective than fin because it destroys dht to such a degree that in effect it raises test levels significantly which actually contributes again to hairloss in their case. 

Sounds to me like dut is working. Your hairs are shedding, it’s a sign of the hair cycle. Old weaker hairs are getting pushed out the skin while the vellus hairs beneath will grow thicker and stronger. You’ll probably need 2+ years to really see the difference from what you were currently taking. But keep running the course and stay strong.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

9 hours ago, JP28 said:

Dut is the best drug period.

I’ve been on it for 2 years now and it’s night and day. 
keep using it and you’ll see in 6 months from now.

Could you please elaborate a bit more? What grade were you when you started dut, and how has the progress been? Did you experience a shed, or any side effects?

• Administrators

Unless you’re suffering side effects DO NOT stop dut. It’s the apex drug for hair loss, you’re not gonna get anything better. If you’re seeing thinning on the drug, it would mean you’d bald a lot more without it. These conspiracy theories that drugs somehow make you balder are ridiculous anecdotal accounts online from anonymous people. They almost never have any pictures. The drug works. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.