Going on Walks after Hair Transplant?

Hi all, I am day 5 post op. I haven't gone outside in 5 days lol. Just been walking around in my house when I am doing things like cooking, etc. When can I start going on longer walks outside when it is dark out? And how far can I walk?

I don't understand this whole keep your blood pressure down and not exercise thing-is walking around the block for 2 miles "exercise"? Wouldn't carrying my bags and hopping on a plane be "exercise"?

If anyone could help me understand that would be greatly appreciated

You are just fine…after 3 days post-op, your grafts are secure enough…walking is fine at this point, and although it will mildly raise your blood pressure, it will not pop out your grafts…walking is one of the best forms of exercise!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Walk and enjoy..wear a bandanna or a cap if sun is out and just get some fresh air for sanity is my honest thought. I had 8400 grafts and many surgeries and you really should get out and enjoy nature. You will not pop a graft at 5 days. Of course your own clinic is the port of call for their own guidelines but after 15 years in the industry and so many patients..get out and enjoy.

Edited by sl

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Good point to cover your head if you’re walking in the sun!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks @gillenator @sl! two questions for you while you are here:

1.) I've been indoor for the past few days but sweating a bit because it is hot here, nothing crazy. I am not excerising or sweating hardcore but i definitely notice some drops of sweat going down my head. Is this a big deal? It sounds like it can't compromise the grafts but if I sweat a TON, like run under the sun for an hour, it can cause infection.

2.) I am choosing not to use topical minoxidil going forward. My understanding, from this article (Do You Need to Use Minoxidil After A Hair Transplant - Benefits & Results - Wimpole Clinic) is that it is not going to affect the survival rate of my transplant hairs. Taking topical minoxidil would just prevent shock loss in my native hairs, speed up the growth of my transplanted hairs, etc. (I got PRP with my transplant which theoretically does those things anyway). Is my understanding correct?

I lost a lot of hair from a thyroid problem that stabilized and haven't lost additional hair, so I am not too concerned about my native hairs. If my hair keeps thinning and I get another transplant, I would consider minoxidil a few years down the line.

Thank you so much for any input :) 

In short,  I would agree with the article linked to regarding Minoxidil. You are now 6 days post op and sweating as described will not dislodge a graft and I assume you have isobetadine spray and are washing and cleaning the scalp etc and probably had some anti-biotics for a few days so infection risk is low. 

• Like 1

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network