How long do you have to wait until a second hair transplant?

• Valued Contributor

I would be discussing this with your surgeon as this is a two stage approach. Personally I would wait 10-12 months before your second surgery. You want to know exactly what growth you have achieved from your first surgery and you want to see how well the donor has bounced back. All the best.

Even if your donor heals fast , still you should wait for the result of 1st surgery for atleast a year. Then you see how much coverage you have in front and mid-scalp areas. Then check how much crown has improved with meds( if you weren't on them before surgery). By 1 year your donor would have healed completely from any shock loss. 

Now you can get a consultation and check if frontal and mid-scalp needs any improvement or repair and you can perform that along with crown filling with minimal grafts.  ( and still save a little amount of grafts for any future touchups)

Don't rush into filling the whole scalp with grafts.

• Like 2

8-9 months

• Like 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

At the risk of rocking the boat, I feel the need to buck the trend here and say you don’t need to wait a full year to get a second surgery. It’s not a bad idea to wait, if you have the patience, but waiting is more important if you’re wanting a second surgery to add density to the same area. If you’re looking to graft a different section (the crown, in your case), you might get away with doing it 5 months after the first op.

However, you may also wish to wait until the results of the first op are satisfactory. The reason is if they end up unsatisfying after a year, you may change your plan for the second op and add more density or reshape the hairline.

• Valued Contributor

I would agree to Rafael Manelli that if you want to add density to the already transplanted area than you should wait long but if you want to target other areas than you can do it 8-9 months post op..actually i would say if you wait thn there is one benefit that suppose if you dont get desired density in your existing transplanted area and if you want a touch up in that area during 2nd surgery than you can do it as you would have achieved full results of your 1st surgery by waiting for 12-14 months

Edited by A_4_Archan
  • Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

As others stated I think the minimum is 9 months but my opinion would be 12 - 18 months because sometimes "maturation" can be slow. 

If it's past 18 months and the hair is not to your satisfaction, then it's time for another. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella