What donor density per cm^2 is considered low?

As in title, anyone had a transplant with donor density of 60-65 cm^2? What were your results, is this considered very low? Will this leave donor look botched even after 3k grafts?
I've had consultation with Dr Bisanga and he said I have 63grafts per cm2 and that it is below average.

Between 70-80cm2 is the average. 

It depends on how many grafts you extract. If you only require a 3000 graft surgery, harvesting from a donor with a density of 63cm2 won’t be an issue, given the surgeon is skilled and reputable. 

However be mindful that you’ll be more limited than others for further grafts down the line, so it is worth considering your options in terms of starting a preventative regime alongside your transplant. 

Edited by Curious25

1 hour ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Someone needs to construct a bell curve graph of donor density and caliber. 

This is true - hair calibre is obviously a variable that comes into play when considering density. 

A good example is general south east Asian hair characteristics - thick straight calibre hair, but typically with lower density. That is coincidentally why their hair whorls can look more sparse, despite not actually balding. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

This is true - hair calibre is obviously a variable that comes into play when considering density. 

A good example is general south east Asian hair characteristics - thick straight calibre hair, but typically with lower density. That is coincidentally why their hair whorls can look more sparse, despite not actually balding. 

Thickness = density x caliber x curl

@SoSoz,

The answer to this question really depends on many factors including whether we are talking about follicular units per square centimeter or hairs per square centimeter, hair to scalp color ratio, hair coarseness/thickness, whether or not there is existing natural hair in between and around the transplanted hair, etc.  And if we are talking about FU/cm2, how many hairs each follicular unit contains will make a difference.

So to make this simple, let’s assume we are talking about hairs per square centimeter (or single haired FUs) and that there is no existing natural hair in between or around the transplanted hair.

They say that the average true density is about 80 to 100 FUs/cm2 (referring to single haired follicular units of course).  In order to obtain an adequate illusion of density, you need approximately 50% of true density making us somewhere between 40 to 50 FU/cm2.

So all that to say, i’d say on average, anything from 20-25 FU/cm2 or could be considered on the lower side or as anything 40 or above would likely be considered on the higher side.

But the words “low“ and “high” are just words and don’t really mean a whole lot. Because ultimately, sometimes lower densities look quite natural and appropriate on certain patients and certain areas of the scalp whereas higher densities  aren’t always necessary and when they are, it’s typically in the frontal area of the scalp.

While everybody wants higher density, it’s not always possible and it’s not always appropriate.  At the end of the day, everything really depends on the individual, how much natural hair they have, their individual physiology and hair characteristics, their goals, their available donor hair and the amount of baldness there is to cover. Future hair loss also needs to be considered.

i hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant.

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:50 AM, lunch_owl said:

I recently saw a youtube video of a NW7 who got a bit more than 5k grafts with 35cm2 and it looked incredible.

Edit: here is the video

and people say you need ar least 8-9k grafts to cover a nw7

On 4/2/2023 at 10:32 PM, SoSoz said:

As in title, anyone had a transplant with donor density of 60-65 cm^2? What were your results, is this considered very low? Will this leave donor look botched even after 3k grafts?
I've had consultation with Dr Bisanga and he said I have 63grafts per cm2 and that it is below average.

Can you post a picture of your donor which was taken during consultation , if its available and you are okay to share ? 

28 minutes ago, SoSoz said:

it all depends on the placements of grafts. some surgeons can use less grafts to give a more better illusion of density , whereas some surgeon who just places it randomly is going to fill the scalp but the density will look less.( unless the patient had really good donor hairs, in that case surgeon can get away with no proper stratergy of placement of grafts)

On 4/3/2023 at 6:50 AM, lunch_owl said:

I recently saw a youtube video of a NW7 who got a bit more than 5k grafts with 35cm2 and it looked incredible.

Edit: here is the video

baldness is basically cured for south asians at that point

europeans need zarev or beard hairs on top

On 4/7/2023 at 5:32 PM, SoSoz said:

do the same with fine european hair and the result will look very very different, i think south asians have very thick hair

the bigger the volume of hair, the bigger the chances are that it is going to shut out the reflection of light from the scalp and look like a full head of hair. the reflection of light from the scalp through fine hair (therefore light reflecting in-between low calibre hair shafts) creates the perception of hair loss. for every 10 microns increase or decrease in the hair shaft calibre, there is a 35% volume effect, either way. the average persons’ hair shaft calibre is around 68-70 microns. if for example, the calibre goes down to 58 microns, then literally 36% of the persons’ hair volume gets lost