Finasteride terrible side effects. And now, Minoxidil + Forcapil ?

Milkonos

I'm 24. Norwood 3 + diffuse all over the scalp. I used finasteride for 3 weeks and then stopped due to many terrible side effects. I'm back to normal now.

I'd like to get my original hairline as soon as possible with a hair transplant. I don't "really" mind about the density as long as the hairline is there.

I understand that I'll need to stop or at least slow down the hair-loss first.

If minoxidil doesn't work after 6 months. Is there any hope to ever get my hair back one day ?

And I consulted a dermatologist who told me to take Minoxidil AND "Forcapil" which is a nutritional supplement. Anyone knows if it's legit ? To be honest, I was always told that nutritional supplement were snake oil.

i think if you have a balanced diet and are not malnourished, you dont need hair loss nutritional supplements. And if anything, I would take a generic multivitamin. you dont need anything hair specific. 

• Administrators

I wouldn’t suggest getting a hair transplant. Sounds like you’re a diffuse norwood 6. Getting a hair transplant at this stage without treating the root cause is a recipe for disaster. Have you tried shaving your head? Doing nothing is never a bad decision. Try it out. It might be your best option.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

15 hours ago, 12345 said:

i think if you have a balanced diet and are not malnourished, you dont need hair loss nutritional supplements. And if anything, I would take a generic multivitamin. you dont need anything hair specific. 

Well thank you for confirming my doubts. The dermatologist really brought up those nutritional supplement as a (literal quote) "miraculous new treatment for those who don't respond well to finasteride". I mean, he really spit this thing that sounded like complete nonsense to my knowledge of years of researching on Internet forums. I'm all about listening to dermatologists, but it really felt bad when he tried to sell me "nutritional supplements" as a "miraculous treatment".

12 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I wouldn’t suggest getting a hair transplant. Sounds like you’re a diffuse norwood 6. Getting a hair transplant at this stage without treating the root cause is a recipe for disaster. Have you tried shaving your head? Doing nothing is never a bad decision. Try it out. It might be your best option.

I think I'm heading there yeah. I'm aware that I can't get a hair transplant without at least slowing down the hair loss as I said in my original post. So you think there is really no way for me because I responded badly to finasteride ? What if I do a hair transplant after losing all the hair ?

I tried and shaved my head once years ago. People, including my friends and the university teachers couldn't recognize me and had to check twice or thrice before engaging a conversation with me. What was I supposed to think ? Obviously, my depression increased back then. Now I'm good though. Depression went away within a year, but it killed my self-esteem.

I contacted HLC in Ankara who told me to apply topical minoxidil and see results before thinking about a hair-transplant. They also told me that topical finasteride "exists", but the thing is that it isn't available in Europe. And the dermatologist I saw even went further and told me that "efficiency of topical finasteride wasn't proven and only 1mg of oral finasteride works for hair-loss, nothing under". But anyway, this dermatologist seemed to have a scientifically conservative approach so I don't really believe much in what he said.

I might try a toupee first. I know people think it's ridiculous, but I'd like to remember what I looked like before clinging on my hair with a potential expensive hair transplant.

22 minutes ago, Milkonos said:

Well thank you for confirming my doubts. The dermatologist really brought up those nutritional supplement as a (literal quote) "miraculous new treatment for those who don't respond well to finasteride". I mean, he really spit this thing that sounded like complete nonsense to my knowledge of years of researching on Internet forums. I'm all about listening to dermatologists, but it really felt bad when he tried to sell me "nutritional supplements" as a "miraculous treatment".

I think I'm heading there yeah. I'm aware that I can't get a hair transplant without at least slowing down the hair loss as I said in my original post. So you think there is really no way for me because I responded badly to finasteride ? What if I do a hair transplant after losing all the hair ?

I tried and shaved my head once years ago. People, including my friends and the university teachers couldn't recognize me and had to check twice or thrice before engaging a conversation with me. What was I supposed to think ? Obviously, my depression increased back then. Now I'm good though. Depression went away within a year, but it killed my self-esteem.

I contacted HLC in Ankara who told me to apply topical minoxidil and see results before thinking about a hair-transplant. They also told me that topical finasteride "exists", but the thing is that it isn't available in Europe. And the dermatologist I saw even went further and told me that "efficiency of topical finasteride wasn't proven and only 1mg of oral finasteride works for hair-loss, nothing under". But anyway, this dermatologist seemed to have a scientifically conservative approach so I don't really believe much in what he said.

I might try a toupee first. I know people think it's ridiculous, but I'd like to remember what I looked like before clinging on my hair with a potential expensive hair transplant.

im curious of the name of the supplement he was pushing. 

4 minutes ago, Milkonos said:

It's called "Forcapil, Anti-Chute" in France. It's sold by arkopharma.

It also contains vitamins, minerals and plant extracts, rigorously selected by the experts at Arkopharma Laboratories:

• Maidenhair fern, or Venus Hair fern (Adantium capillus-veneris) helps to slow down hair loss
  • Horsetail promotes hair growth and strength
  • Vitamin B8 and Zinc help maintain healthy hair
  • Vitamin B9 contributes to the normal synthesis of amino acids
  • Vitamin B6 contributes to the normal synthesis of cysteine and the regulation of hormonal activity
  • Vitamin D3 is involved in the process of cell division
  • Finally, copper participates in the normal pigmentation of hair

quick google search says maidenhair is still used as a holistic alternative for the treatment of hair loss. 

cant find what the proposed mechanism is though. maybe someone can shed light on this.

first time im hearing of this herb for hairloss. 

Replenology seems better

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) : ASCE+ HRLV AAPE for Hair secretomes + human Umbilical Chord Exosomes

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Milkonos said:

The truth is you need an effective DHT blocker. If you’re gonna use minoxidil, my advice is to go directly to oral version, it’s more effective. To be honest, these herbal medicines aren’t gonna do much. You can try it, but it probably won’t be enough to make a significant difference. There are other alternatives to finasteride. RU58841, CB-03-01, topical finasteride or dutasteride. FUEclinic sells a topical dutasteride formula, I believe you can get some shipped from an Italian pharmacy Farmacia Parati. 

Bottomline, holistic naturopathic medication is in my opinion a waste of time and money. I took pumpkin seed oil, emu oil, natural DHT inhibitors, they didn’t do much. I’m not discouraging you from trying it. You have nothing to lose, except more hair. 

Before embarking on a hair transplant journey, you want to at the very least stabilize your hair loss. The last thing you want to do is get an HT with net gain. That’s when you’re losing hair at the same rate that you’re transplanting. Eventually, you’ll run out of donor. The hair system is definitely an option. Worst comes to worst you can take it off. There’s minimal drawbacks.

Best of luck man on whatever you decide.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.