Does Finasteride affect beard growth?

@Sunset Dune,

While I don’t know how true this is, there is some anecdotal evidence that using finasteride can actually reduce body hair. Now, body hair is different than facial hair and I don’t believe there’s any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise that finasteride medication impact it one way or another.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

54 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Sunset Dune,

While I don’t know how true this is, there is some anecdotal evidence that using finasteride can actually reduce body hair. Now, body hair is different than facial hair and I don’t believe there’s any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise that finasteride medication impact it one way or another.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

The reduction was pretty pronounced for me, with chest hair in particular. It's almost the opposite of the effect finesteride has on my scalp hair - it grows slower, is finer and appears like there is less of it. My partner asked when it'd return to normal (unprompted). Not a scientific study by any means, but there is at least more than one person who noticed the change independently.

1 hour ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

The reduction was pretty pronounced for me, with chest hair in particular. It's almost the opposite of the effect finesteride has on my scalp hair - it grows slower, is finer and appears like there is less of it. My partner asked when it'd return to normal (unprompted). Not a scientific study by any means, but there is at least more than one person who noticed the change independently.

This is very interesting, I need to read about this! I'd never have thought that it could reduce body hair whilst strengthening scalp hair. Though as body hair emerges during puberty and scalp hair is lost this kind of makes sense. 

21 minutes ago, HairFunk said:

This is very interesting, I need to read about this! I'd never have thought that it could reduce body hair whilst strengthening scalp hair. Though as body hair emerges during puberty and scalp hair is lost this kind of makes sense. 

It has apparently been used to treat excessive body hair in women. A quick Google suggests durasteride is more effective though.