PRP after FUE - How soon is too soon?

Hi all,
I've had a HT done 5 months ago - 2000 grafts in London. The results so far are not encouraging - most of all because of persistent redness in my recipient area that is not improving. I can live with having to wait 12-18 months for results, but this redness should have gone by now, or at least be getting better. So I'm considering getting PRP in my recipient area to help with the healing / redness.

Any thoughts on this? Would PRP help so long after the procedure? Or is 5 months too soon after the HT?

Many thanks for any words of wisdom!

• Administrators

You can get PRP now, 5 months is too soon to cast judgement. Give it another 5 months. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Redmann said:

Hi all,
I've had a HT done 5 months ago - 2000 grafts in London. The results so far are not encouraging - most of all because of persistent redness in my recipient area that is not improving. I can live with having to wait 12-18 months for results, but this redness should have gone by now, or at least be getting better. So I'm considering getting PRP in my recipient area to help with the healing / redness.

Any thoughts on this? Would PRP help so long after the procedure? Or is 5 months too soon after the HT?

Many thanks for any words of wisdom!

If your skin is pale the redness can take several months to die down. 

Many thanks all. I'm ok with waiting another year for results, even. It's the redness I'm most concerned about now. My skin is quite pale, but it hasn't improved since about 1 month in, so I'm looking at PRP as a way to help that.

I've seen indicative (though not conclusive) evidence that PRP during surgery reduces incidents of redness by 6 months. In case anyone is interested...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064679/

So I'm trying to figure how much it would help after the fact, at which point in time, etc. There might be just one way to find out, of course...

2 minutes ago, Redmann said:

Many thanks all. I'm ok with waiting another year for results, even. It's the redness I'm most concerned about now. My skin is quite pale, but it hasn't improved since about 1 month in, so I'm looking at PRP as a way to help that.

I've seen indicative (though not conclusive) evidence that PRP during surgery reduces incidents of redness by 6 months. In case anyone is interested...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064679/

So I'm trying to figure how much it would help after the fact, at which point in time, etc. There might be just one way to find out, of course...

It may also be worth asking your HT surgeon if a short course of an oral steroid like a Medrol dose pack or a short course of a topically applied steroid could help reduce the redness / inflammation. That’s a lot cheaper and easier as a first try vs going to PRP. Definitely consult with your surgeon though on their thoughts. 

Thanks, that's a good shout as well. I'm reluctant to use a topical steroid because it might cause skin thinning, which would make the redness work in the long term. But oral is a good idea. They have been quiet indifferent / useless in the follow-up so far, but I'll ask!

7 hours ago, Redmann said:

Thanks, that's a good shout as well. I'm reluctant to use a topical steroid because it might cause skin thinning, which would make the redness work in the long term. But oral is a good idea. They have been quiet indifferent / useless in the follow-up so far, but I'll ask!

My pleasure! I’d highly recommend it if the doc agrees. It really could help knock down the redness / inflammation down and it would only be a 7-10 day course at best.