Dermarolling advice needed

Hey guys 

so I’m looking to start Derma rolling along with minoxidil and was looking for some advice in regards to the dermaroller to buy, is the dermapen a better option?

thanks in advance 

Edited by IdkAboutHair

@IdkAboutHair,

I know this is not directly answering your question as I am not an expert in derma rolling per se however, I’m wondering why finasteride is not a part of your regime. Please do understand that derma rolling is likely not to do much even in conjunction with minoxidil. Any benefit you see from this combination is likely from the minoxidilit self and not from the derma rolling. In my opinion, you’ll be causing some mild discomfort and abrasions to your scalp for next to nothing.

That said, I don’t think it will really hurt anything to give it a shot. But please understand that non-surgical solutions are far better at helping you keep your existing hair and possibly thickening some of the miniaturizing hairs then actually regrowing new hair. Only surgical hair restoration is proven to grow hair in completely bald areas.

So unless you are concerned about or have experienced side effects with finasteride, I would strongly consider trying this medication in conjunction with minoxidil which would be far more effective statistically than using minoxidil with the derma roller.  Or you could even try all three if it suits your fancy.

Keep in mind also that for those who experience side effects with oral finasteride, there is a topical solution that many people swear by.  It may be less effective than oral finasteride but I believe the likelihood of experiencing side effects is also reduced.

The above of course is just my opinion based on what I’ve seen over the last 15 years being involved in the profession in one way or another.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

2 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@IdkAboutHair,

I know this is not directly answering your question as I am not an expert in derma rolling per se however, I’m wondering why finasteride is not a part of your regime. Please do understand that derma rolling is likely not to do much even in conjunction with minoxidil. Any benefit you see from this combination is likely from the minoxidilit self and not from the derma rolling. In my opinion, you’ll be causing some mild discomfort and abrasions to your scalp for next to nothing.

That said, I don’t think it will really hurt anything to give it a shot. But please understand that non-surgical solutions are far better at helping you keep your existing hair and possibly thickening some of the miniaturizing hairs then actually regrowing new hair. Only surgical hair restoration is proven to grow hair in completely bald areas.

So unless you are concerned about or have experienced side effects with finasteride, I would strongly consider trying this medication in conjunction with minoxidil which would be far more effective statistically than using minoxidil with the derma roller.  Or you could even try all three if it suits your fancy.

Keep in mind also that for those who experience side effects with oral finasteride, there is a topical solution that many people swear by.  It may be less effective than oral finasteride but I believe the likelihood of experiencing side effects is also reduced.

The above of course is just my opinion based on what I’ve seen over the last 15 years being involved in the profession in one way or another.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Hi, thank you for your response! @Rahal Hair Transplant

I understand your point in regards to finasteride and it’s the reason I gave it a go but due to personal complications I had to hop off it. I’ve had friends achieve moderate to good growth/thickening via dermarolling/minoxidil arguably more so with diffuse thinning loss and of course not in completely bald areas! So was looking to give it a shot myself as you said no harm in trying 

Also I wasn’t aware that there’s a topical finasteride option, is this available in the UK? I’ll look into this! 

Edited by IdkAboutHair

I own a drpen which i use on the front and temples but I used s 1.5 roller on my crown as the pen hurt too much and didn't maneuver well. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update.