When can I shave the donor area, and what is the lowest grade?

• Administrators

The donor or recipient? The donor you should be able to trim with clippers after a week. The recipient though, id agree only with scissors for at least a month.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The donor. Thanks 🙂 Does it matter how low the grade is? I wouldn't 0 it, but if you go too low could I hurt the area that's healing? (I'm a month, post surgery, next Tuesday)

Edited by jc80220

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, jc80220 said:

The donor. Thanks 🙂 Does it matter how low the grade is? I wouldn't 0 it, but if you go too low could I hurt the area that's healing? (I'm a month, post surgery, next Tuesday)

I would say a #2 should be fine.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 2/23/2023 at 4:26 PM, jc80220 said:

I've asked my clinic (Hair Dr) and they say only scissor cut it for the first six months, but I read in lots of other places it can be clipped after a week. Thoughts, guys? 🙂

FUE donor Dr Mittal recommended avoiding getting hair cut for one month post surgery, only clippers or scissors. No razors. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:50 PM, Rafael Manelli said:

I’ll just chip in to say I agree with Melvin

Did you get Fue or fut? With fut you have to leave the hair longer to hide the scar. With Fue you may be able to shave to a one or two guard 

It's a FUE.

A number two grade isn't cutting it short enough, am I okay to go to a one grade, which looks fine? Would I be okay to cut the recipient on a one as well? I'm now approximately one month after surgery.

Just another thing as well, whilst I'm here. The donor area has grown back but there's a small area that is thinner than the rest. I know about over harvesting, but is this normal to begin with?

3 minutes ago, jc80220 said:

It's a FUE.

A number two grade isn't cutting it short enough, am I okay to go to a one grade, which looks fine? Would I be okay to cut the recipient on a one as well? I'm now approximately one month after surgery.

Just another thing as well, whilst I'm here. The donor area has grown back but there's a small area that is thinner than the rest. I know about over harvesting, but is this normal to begin with?

The small thin area is probably just temporarily shocklossed. Give it time. 

You can cut and buzz the hair at 1 month no problem. 

• Like 1

Thanks, so much 🙂

As you get so many different answers when Googling, just another couple of questions.

When can I shower normally again, as in, allow my head to go under the jet?

When can I wash my hair normally again, as right now I'm still using the jug method. Actually massage shampoo it in to my scalp, use my old shampoo's (I'm currently using SebaMed, provided by the clinic) and towel dry?

Many thanks 🙂