would a surgeon let me use these grafts?

Most surgeons tend to avoid the nape of the neck due to Retrograde Alopecia being very common (Retrograde Alopecia is where you thin above the ears and at the bottom of the nape where you highlighted)

However some Surgeons still use this area and it has finer grafts which are ideal for Temple reconstruction.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

27 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

Most surgeons tend to avoid the nape of the neck due to Retrograde Alopecia being very common (Retrograde Alopecia is where you thin above the ears and at the bottom of the nape where you highlighted)

However some Surgeons still use this area and it has finer grafts which are ideal for Temple reconstruction.

i see, so maybe add a couple hundred or so grafts of these ones to make the hairline look better

@zenmu,

By default, surgeons don’t typically extract hair from the nape area and use them for transplanting unless there is an extreme case or circumstance that suggests it’s a good idea. Those hairs are typically less stable than those in the universal safe zone which starts somewhat above the nape area.

Obviously I don’t see any photos of the top of your scalp so I can’t comment on your case. That said, it does look like you have an abundance of donor hair based on the one photo you’ve presented… Of course photos can be deceiving and it’s not a very high-quality photo. Typically, it’s far better to take from the universal safe zone first and foremost before a surgeon would even consider taking from the nape region.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

16 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@zenmu,

By default, surgeons don’t typically extract hair from the nape area and use them for transplanting unless there is an extreme case or circumstance that suggests it’s a good idea. Those hairs are typically less stable than those in the universal safe zone which starts somewhat above the nape area.

Obviously I don’t see any photos of the top of your scalp so I can’t comment on your case. That said, it does look like you have an abundance of donor hair based on the one photo you’ve presented… Of course photos can be deceiving and it’s not a very high-quality photo. Typically, it’s far better to take from the universal safe zone first and foremost before a surgeon would even consider taking from the nape region.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

thanks for your in-depth response! yeah that makes sense, it just seems like if i were to get a haircut anyways, id want these back hairs faded out so if i could get a usage of them id love to but perhaps down the road if they stay their for awhile and don’t thin out i can just add them to the front for some extra density after my first transplant, if a doctor agrees

Nape can be used but many surgeons would not recommend it unless for some specific cases. Also it is difficult to make a generalization about the longevity of NPA as donor hair. Depends on various factors: genetics, hair characteristics, lifestyle habits, etc... Yes, some studies shown Nape hair is more prone to falling out, however, it is not a universal phenomenon, many patients have reported good results with Nape hair as donor hair. Additionally, the technique used to extract and transplant Nape hair can also impact its survival. Each patient's case should be evaluated individually. I would recommend getting personalized evaluation your concerns and goals.