Is it possible for a follicle to be un-miniaturized?

Does anyone have any technical understanding if a hair follicle, once miniaturized by androgens, can be un-miniaturized by the suppression of androgens? If not, does that mean then that the goal of any miniaturized follicle is to slow the miniaturization of that follicle via 5AR inhibitors as there's no restoring it to its former glory?

I think i heard the Hair Loss Show doctors claim once a follicle losses 50% of its diameter, it's toast. Maybe a miniaturized follicle will always produce a miniaturized hair, but minoxidil can keep that miniaturized hair in the anagen phase longer? Just wanting to better understand these mechanisms. Thanks for the feedback. Academic links welcome too

There’s no one size fits all answer, and the reason for that, is because every single follicle has its own individual sensitivity profile to exposure from androgens. 

The general rule of thumb, however, is the lesser the extent of the miniaturisation, the higher the likelihood of reversal, which for some follicles could mean they will eventually get back to their original glory, for other follicles it might mean they continue to miniaturise at a dramatically reduced rate.

For a Dr to make speculative claims that 50% of the original hair shaft diameter is the make it or break it line is just stupid.  

There are hundreds of before and after case study’s available online from patients experiencing regrowth in areas that are previously bald before androgen suppression - as there are equally some cases (albeit low) of patients with hair, who continue to miniature despite some form of androgen suppression. 

Take home message - The earlier you start, the higher the likelihood of your chances of success. 

Edited by Curious25
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your response, Curious 25. I'm wondering if what those doctors are trying to communicate regarding the seemingly arbitrary 50% number is something along the lines of the following:

In androgen sensitive zones, some follicles will miniaturize faster that directly adjacent follicles. The faster a follicle miniaturizes, the faster the follicle approaches stem cell "death". What we're possibly seeing with slick bald people that recover decent coverage is the last man standing follicles that kept their stem cells "alive" had a chance to recover, whether that recovery be to 50% or 100% of its original diameter. I'm guessing at some point, a follicle's stem cell is in fact "dead" or so embedded in scar tissue that recovery is unachievable as these derms are opaquely communicating?

Lastly, I'd like to know what follicle "death" means, if anything. 

18 hours ago, curiousnomad said:

Thanks for your response, Curious 25. I'm wondering if what those doctors are trying to communicate regarding the seemingly arbitrary 50% number is something along the lines of the following:

In androgen sensitive zones, some follicles will miniaturize faster that directly adjacent follicles. The faster a follicle miniaturizes, the faster the follicle approaches stem cell "death". What we're possibly seeing with slick bald people that recover decent coverage is the last man standing follicles that kept their stem cells "alive" had a chance to recover, whether that recovery be to 50% or 100% of its original diameter. I'm guessing at some point, a follicle's stem cell is in fact "dead" or so embedded in scar tissue that recovery is unachievable as these derms are opaquely communicating?

Lastly, I'd like to know what follicle "death" means, if anything. 

That would be speculation under a different umbrella of thought - I was under the impression you were (they were) referring to 50% of a hair follicles diameter. 

The stem cells of a hair follicle are a different subject - and I believe it would probably hold more merit in terms of measuring the potential of regrowth based upon their state of play. 

Until there are actual studies and research conducted on the relationship between androgen suppression and how it correlates with stem cell counts/remaining follicle diameters etc, in achieving hair regrowth - it’s all just guesswork. 

Would be interesting though. If you find any studies along those lines, you should put them up and make a thread. 

I’m curious to know whether there’s a rough estimation on how many years post a hair follicle no longer being produced because of miniaturisation, can starting 5AR blockers help to restore that. Again it’s going to be an individual answer person to person, but I assume there would be a fairly accurate median number that could be used to go off.