Propecia Question!!! Could taking 2mg(2 tablets) daily create better results?

Raphael84

Whilst I have read that if you miss a day of taking Finasteride, that it would be pointless taking two tablets the next day as your body can only accept so much of the necessary chemical, therefore it would be a total waste.

However, this does not quite make sense, as many patients use Avodart/dustasteride which is obviously mcuh stronger than Finasteride. With this there are the also obvious side effects which are consistantly stronger also. But this kind of puts a stop to the bodies maximim acceptance level theory.

With this potentially being the case, is it therefore possible, or could it be more effective, to take 2 tablets if finasteride daily. Therefore doubling your intake of DHT prevention, but without risking the side effects of the stronger and more expensive dustasteride product? I heard that one guy was seeing little improvement or prevention of an elongated time frame using just the 1mg if finasteride, and so began taking two daily, and in a short time, the change in his results were astounding.

Is this possible. What are you thoughts and the science behind it. Either way, I find it an interesting theory!

Regards

Raphael.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I dont know if taking 2 mg a day will get you better results or not but it will likely get you that much closer to getting those wonderful side effects ....

--------------

In general use, the following side effects have been reported: allergic reactions including rash, itching, hives, and swelling of the lips and face; problems with ejaculation; breast tenderness and enlargement; and testicular pain. You should promptly report to your doctor any changes in your breasts such as lumps, pain, or nipple discharge. Tell your doctor about these or any other unusual side effects.

A small number of men had sexual side effects, with each occurring in less than 2% of men. These include less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, and a decrease in the amount of semen. These side effects went away in men who stopped taking PROPECIA because of them. In addition, these side effects decreased to 0.3% of men or less by the fifth year of treatment.

------------

Pharmaceutical companies take drugs risk vs benefit profile ... likely there is not sufficient increased benefit to taking 2 mg of propecia vs 1 mg. The Big Pharma companies would have done the 1 mg vs 2 mg vs 5 mg vs 10 mg studies to find out what the best and safest dose.

I would stick to the 1 mg. I bet adding Rogaine to your regime would yield better results than simply doubling your dose of propecia.

However, this does not quite make sense, as many patients use Avodart/dustasteride which is obviously mcuh stronger than Finasteride.

Dutasteride targets the other isomer of the 5 alpha redutase enzyme, that's why it's slightly better.

Doubling up on finasteride means your still only targeting one of the isomers, so your comparison is not exact.

take care...

As in any medication, always follow doctor's recommended dosage. 2 mg/day, will definitely NOT give better result. Also you can't compare finasteride with dutasteride as they are different medications.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Spex,

If we only theoretically need to 1/2 mg, why are we being prescribed, and why is Propecia a 1 mg tablet.

By taking the 1mg, is this actually blocking more DHT that a 1/2mg tablet would?

If not, surely this would mean that we are just as well off theoretically, to break the tablet down again so that we are only taking 1/2mg, and therefore our medication would last twice as long?

and Apex, by the way. Thanks for the info on Finasteride. Much appreciated. It arrived just the other day! Thanks again!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Nice curve spex!

So Raphael,

Hopefully you'll understand now that dustateride, inhibits the formation DHT for the remaining 20-25% (I don't think that 100% inhibition is possible) by inhibiting the interaction of testosterone with the other isomer of 5-alpha-reductase.

take care...

wouldn't it be more sensible to take propecia 0.5mg twice a day rather than 1mg once a day?

Good question.

Can you cut a 1 mg pill into two equal parts? icon_wink.gif

Perhaps the benefit to cost ratio (in industrial/economic terms and individual patient terms) of manufacturing a 0.5 mg pill just isn't worth it?

Like I said good to question all alternatives.

take care...