When Can You Wear a Baseball Hat Post-Op?

I have a 1st date 7 days post-op. We are getting lunch. I told her about the hair transplant and she is seemingly fine about it, but obviously I want to wear a hat bc my scalp is still really gross and bizarre-looking. I will have to reschedule the date if I can't wear a hat. 

Dr. Mwamba confirmed to me in writing that grafts are secure after 3 days, and specifically said as well I can wear a baseball hat after 3 days. 

But....so many people on here say grafts take 7-10 days to be secure, and wait this same time frame to wear a hat. 

Obviously Dr. Mwamba is an expert and knows what he is talking about, but the discrepancy between his timeframe and everyone else's does concern me. 

What do you all think? Are graft secure and a hat safe after Day 3? Am I completely safe to wear a baseball hat Day 7 post op for my date?

I was personally told by my doc that it takes 6-7 days for the grafts to secure, so you need to be extra cautious then (sleeping upright with neck pillow etc).

In terms of when it was ok to wear a beanie/cap, I was advised 14 days.

Would like to see some opinions on this as well. 3 days post-op does seem quite soon. Some people say that you can wear a bucket hat where the hat doesn't come in contact with the grafts. I wore a surgical cap for the first week, which looked more like a durag mixed with a chef's hat. Perhaps a sombrero or cowboy hat would suffice 🤠

There is a study that showed grafts aren’t fully secure until 9 days post-op but most clinic says it’s safe to wear a loose fitting baseball cap about 6-7 days post-op.

Study: https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/graft-anchoring-in-hair-transplantation/

This is how you should be wearing the cap:

Edited by Tiger2050
  • Like 2