Prescription of antibiotics after hair transplantation is unnecessary?

I was reading on this article https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15988072/ and they claim prescription of antibiotics after hair transplantation is unnecessary if the clinic follows strict adherence to the aseptic rules. What are your thoughts? Do all dr's prescribe it? I've seen that all turkish clinics do it.

Edited by SoSoz

It is better to do it to lower the risk of infection. 

You still have open wounds on your head for several days after the procedure. And you'll be in taxis, in hotels, where sanitary conditions are not pristine.

1 hour ago, SoSoz said:

I was reading on this article https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15988072/ and they claim prescription of antibiotics after hair transplantation is unnecessary if the clinic follows strict adherence to the aseptic rules. What are your thoughts? Do all dr's prescribe it? I've seen that all turkish clinics do it.

"7 cases of SSI and central necrosis were occurred in the third group" So you're telling me that you would take that risk if you were one of those 7 people where necrosis occurred? You really would risk the success of your hair transplant or even possible death by not taking antibiotics because one paper told you it was unnecessary? 

I asked my Dr and his response was "Most clinics don't prescribe anything, I just do it out of an abundance of caution". He also said he's never had an infection in 10+ years of doing HT's. 

Antibiotics are known to have negative health consequences (If you care for your gut microbiome) so I take them as rarely as humanly possible. I took one antibiotic the night after my surgery but didn't take any the rest of the time. If I were to ever get a 2nd HT I would not take any antibiotics.

That said, I also have a lot of trust in my immune system (1 mild cold only in past 7-8 years, which I think is partially due to never taking antibiotics). So if you're prone to infection historically maybe it's a better idea to take them? But I didn't and I wont take them next time either, but that's strictly for me so do what you think is best. 

Edit: What's also interesting is that study is from 2005 so I assume they're looking only at FUT patients? FUT is obviously a much more invasive procedure than FUE, so if even FUT patients didn't need antibiotics I doubt FUE would either. That said again, listen to your doctor and follow your gut (No pun intended). 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

2 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I asked my Dr and his response was "Most clinics don't prescribe anything, I just do it out of an abundance of caution". He also said he's never had an infection in 10+ years of doing HT's. 

Antibiotics are known to have negative health consequences (If you care for your gut microbiome) so I take them as rarely as humanly possible. I took one antibiotic the night after my surgery but didn't take any the rest of the time. If I were to ever get a 2nd HT I would not take any antibiotics.

That said, I also have a lot of trust in my immune system (1 mild cold only in past 7-8 years, which I think is partially due to never taking antibiotics). So if you're prone to infection historically maybe it's a better idea to take them? But I didn't and I wont take them next time either, but that's strictly for me so do what you think is best. 

Edit: What's also interesting is that study is from 2005 so I assume they're looking only at FUT patients? FUT is obviously a much more invasive procedure than FUE, so if even FUT patients didn't need antibiotics I doubt FUE would either. That said again, listen to your doctor and follow your gut (No pun intended). 

I also had a surgery like FUT scar size but on my back and never had to take any antibiotics. So I am wondering why is it needed for FUE procedure that much? Also a Dr told me that FUE is not really invasive

• Valued Contributor

Anything that lessens or reduces the risk of surgery and hair transplant results is something that I would subscribe to. I had antibiotics prescribed in my last surgery and I would do it again. You only get once to get this thing right and it's a small price (actually it's not even that) compared to all of the infections on recipient areas that we have seen on the forum posted by patients post op.