mixing dutasteride with finasteride questio

i’ve been on 1mg finasteride for about 5 months and i’d like to add 0.5mg dutasteride once or twice a week. i’ve been seeing results with finasteride but just want to get the max results and limit dht. is this a good idea? having it twice a week along with, will i experience a shed if i make the switch and how bad do you assume it will be? and anything else you think pertains to this

1 hour ago, zenmu said:

i’ve been on 1mg finasteride for about 5 months and i’d like to add 0.5mg dutasteride once or twice a week. i’ve been seeing results with finasteride but just want to get the max results and limit dht. is this a good idea? having it twice a week along with, will i experience a shed if i make the switch and how bad do you assume it will be? and anything else you think pertains to this

dont expect wonders from adding dutasteride you maybe gonna increase the risk of sides only if you have seen results from only 5 months finasteride you are a good responder go for a full year first

• Like 1

I would just stick to dutasteride twice per week. It's half life is very long and it's more effective in lowering DHT level because it inhibits both of the isoforms of 5-alpha reductase. It'll be simpler too to just use dutasteride. Are you on oral minoxidil too?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Buck Naked said:

I would just stick to dutasteride twice per week. It's half life is very long and it's more effective in lowering DHT level because it inhibits both of the isoforms of 5-alpha reductase. It'll be simpler too to just use dutasteride. Are you on oral minoxidil too?

is there any harm in using both? just curious. and im not on oral minoxidil at the moment but ive considered it

1 hour ago, honey21790 said:

dont expect wonders from adding dutasteride you maybe gonna increase the risk of sides only if you have seen results from only 5 months finasteride you are a good responder go for a full year first

well i’ve just seen small baby hairs along hairline but i’ll consider this, i’m not to worried about sides but i may stick with it in the end, just wanted peoples thoughts. thank you!

I highly recommend that you discuss this with your doctor especially the impact this can potentially have on your prostrate.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think there's some merit to this strategy. 

In terms of strenght there is 3 steps:   daily fin, 5x fin-2xdut weekly, and daily dut. I personally did the same as a transition, and ended up just ditching Fin for daily Dut after I didn't experience any bad sides.

You need to judge if it's worth switching to Dut or not in your situation though. I waited 1.5 years on Fin before acting. For example, I had very aggressive hairloss, coupled with 0 sides on Fin, so it was a pretty obvious step for me to take.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

7 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

In terms of strenght there is 3 steps:   daily fin, 5x fin-2xdut weekly, and daily dut. I personally did the same as a transition, and ended up just ditching Fin for daily Dut after I didn't experience any bad sides.

You need to judge if it's worth switching to Dut or not in your situation though. I waited 1.5 years on Fin before acting. For example, I had very aggressive hairloss, coupled with 0 sides on Fin, so it was a pretty obvious step for me to take.

interesting, i’ll probably wait. i also just don’t want to experience another shed rn so i might do it down the road. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 11:15 AM, WhereIsMyMind said:

Hey! 

Was finasteride not working for you? How has your experience with dutasteride been?