Does Finasteride cause shedding of Non HT hairs ?

Hi Guys,

I had my Hair transplant from Eugenix Gurgaon in September 2022 and I am currently at 103 days post op .You can look at my journey as I will post my journey link at last . After my HT I started taking Finasteride 10 days post HT and recently I have noticed more shedding of non-HT hairs too around 20-25 .Is this some sign of concern or does it happens to everyone ?

Although I have researched on google and they say shedding is normal and it’s a good sign but clearly wants to know your experiences of shedding with Finasteride .

A232D6D6-F325-41AC-BAAF-3227D0F8FD82.thumb.jpeg.8905cda1ddce4e45b8c331fc7cd2d5d3.jpeg

For more details -

Edited by Madhur Vansil

On 12/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, Madhur Vansil said:

Hi Guys,

I had my Hair transplant from Eugenix Gurgaon in September 2022 and I am currently at 103 days post op .You can look at my journey as I will post my journey link at last . After my HT I started taking Finasteride 10 days post HT and recently I have noticed more shedding of non-HT hairs too around 20-25 .Is this some sign of concern or does it happens to everyone ?

Although I have researched on google and they say shedding is normal and it’s a good sign but clearly wants to know your experiences of shedding with Finasteride .

A232D6D6-F325-41AC-BAAF-3227D0F8FD82.thumb.jpeg.8905cda1ddce4e45b8c331fc7cd2d5d3.jpeg

For more details -

Finasteride can help shed weak hair quicker and force them to regrow. It's nothing to be worried about but it can make you see more hair falling and worry you. I think this "shedding" when people use Finasteride and even Minoxodil is what causes them to freak out and actually stop not realising this is a normal part of the process for the hair to regrow stronger. 

For anybody just starting medication and seeing more hairfall. Keep pushing through and take monthly progress pictures. By the 12+ months mark, you should see noticeable improvement if the medication is working for you. 

• Like 1

Well said Narmak…and I concur that it’s more of the “initial” use of finasteride or minoxidil that can induce higher levels of shedding including a potential full blown shed cycle…NOW, I have “never” been an advocate of initially starting finasteride for the first time immediately post-op because in some cases it can delay or even stunt the regrowth of the grafts.

I have always been an advocate of starting finasteride ideally 12 months before any surgery for several reasons as the obvious reason is to fairly evaluate whether the drug is working effectively or not and also to give it plenty of time to adapt systemically…time to make any necessary adjustments.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY