Shockloss - two month mark ... no improvement

I'm just about two months post-op and the shockloss i've got in my donor area has shown no signs of improvement and i'm getting really concerned.

I keep getting told that it will return in 3/4 months but should it not have shown signs of improvement by now??

I'm just about two months post-op and the shockloss i've got in my donor area has shown no signs of improvement and i'm getting really concerned.

I keep getting told that it will return in 3/4 months but should it not have shown signs of improvement by now??

Guest wanthairs

my shhockloss took 5 months to come back. I have heard of it taking up to 9 months in some cases. relax.

jonrctim:

Don't worry, i went through this myself as well, and i freak out a bit also. It will come back. In my case, it came back around month 4 and i am confident that by month 6 or 7, all traces of shockloss will be gone. Note that permanent shock loss is very rare.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Originally posted by jonrctim:

I totally understand your concerns. Shock loss can be very scary. Try to keep in mind hair doesnt grow very fast and their are dormant times. Is it possible the hair in your donor area went in to a dormant stage which I read takes 3-4 months to get out of?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Went shopping with the girlfriend for some new threads and when i took my hat off in the fitting room and saw the back and sides in the mirror i totally crashed and burned ... Have been trying to avoid mirrors to be honest and i thought there would have been some improvement but the reflection told a different story. I've still got staple marks, some bald patches, plus areas where the hair is much thinner .... The Bride of Frankenstein springs to mind!!!

Anyways, thanks for the replies guys .... Takes the edge off.

Patience

2 months is nothing my friend. give yourself at least 6 months before anything solid will show itself. try to relax and just focus on other things.

Time is on your side!!! That is the beautiful thing I always loved about my HT post op time!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

jonrctim,

I too was extremely nervous after my first hair transplant when shock loss hit around 5 weeks and didn't start improving at all until about 10 to 12 weeks. Thankfully, the veteran members of this community at the time gave me a lot of comfort and reminded me just as they are reminding you now to wait it out and be patient.

It's hard, but it's all true. The first 3 to 5 months are the hardest and often times, we will look worse after a hair transplant before we look better.

If you don't like the way your hair looks right now, wear a hat, bandanna, or other covering out socially until you get past the awkard stages.

Hang in there my friend.

Bill