Need (urgent) advice

Hi guys,

I have been a frequent reader and visitor of the site until a while ago. I did my research for a HT and shortlisted HLC and Feriduni as both were recommended in the past. Due to my work and the possible treatment dates, I chose HLC because they had the option of treatment between Christmas and New Year. Right now I’m in Ankara to have my consultation tomorrow.

Out of curiosity I visited the forum again and come across many negative reviews on HLC. They are also not on the recommended doctor’s list.

So my question is, what is wise to do?

I can have a honest en open consultation tomorrow with them and demand the best doctor (don’t know which one they will offer me as you cannot pick one) or tell them I reconsider and just leave. 

Money is not an issue. I traveled from The Netherlands to Ankara today. I should have read the forum again before booking my trip :(

1 minute ago, asterix0 said:

Dude what? How old are you, you sound like an impulsive teenager.

Definitely it is not wise to do, I mean I suppose you can have the consolation just to see what they say, but do not proceed with surgery. 

I looks like it, but I’m not hasty or impulsive. I did my research, they have a good name in the dutch forum about hair loss. And I have come across many topics on this forum that looked good. Maybe they are not bad after all, but reading some negative comments, made me wonder, that’s the reason  posted this. It doesn’t matter if the trip is for nothing and I have to pay them some money for the consultation. 

26 minutes ago, TheSoc2671 said:

I can have a honest en open consultation tomorrow with them and demand the best doctor (don’t know which one they will offer me as you cannot pick one)

I personally don't know enough about HLC to give a judgement on the clinic. But what I can tell you is it is a big red flag and very sketch to not be able to select the doctor, and to not even know who your doctor is before surgery.

Keep in mind 1 botched hair transplant often requires 2 or even 3 repair surgeries in order to fully correct and make right.

38 minutes ago, TheSoc2671 said:

I looks like it, but I’m not hasty or impulsive. I did my research, they have a good name in the dutch forum about hair loss. And I have come across many topics on this forum that looked good. Maybe they are not bad after all, but reading some negative comments, made me wonder, that’s the reason  posted this. It doesn’t matter if the trip is for nothing and I have to pay them some money for the consultation. 

How recent were they? I can dig up good results from many years ago from ASMED for instance, which is irrelevant because their recent results have been quite disappointing. 

Post them here if you wish and other forum members can offer their opinions.

Edited by asterix0

44 minutes ago, TheSoc2671 said:

I can have a honest en open consultation tomorrow with them and demand the best doctor

You may demand the best doctor and they will say sure Dr XYZ will perform your surgery.

At best it will give you a name to research. You will be under intense pressure to proceed, it's there best Dr - right? or in reality the one they had already assigned to you.

Know your doctor in advance, check their body of work, communicate with them and ensure they understand your requirements. HT's are worrying, even when you have done a tonne of research and picked the best doc for your budget. Doubt at the start will be torture as you spend months waiting for growth.

You created an artificial deadline between xmas and new year.  Do yourself a favour get on a plane back to NL.

Thank you guys. 

I will talk to them first and see what happens. They can’t force me to undergo the HT.

I cannot find the topics with recommendations to HLC at once, but I’m definitely sure I came across many guys here and on other forums who have had their HT there and were happy, one of them being: 

For now I know dr Umut and Bekir had some subpar results so if I’m offered those two, I will book a ticket and leave at once.

hello. I think you should not have the operation because you have doubts and it is very difficult for you to be happy. Also, dr Bekir implanted the case you shared above and it is indisputably a good result.

On 12/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, omega5 said:

hello. I think you should not have the operation because you have doubts and it is very difficult for you to be happy. Also, dr Bekir implanted the case you shared above and it is indisputably a good result.

Thank you. I cancelled the appointment and will do after more research.

@TheSoc2671,

My advice has nothing to do with the clinic you’ve chosen as I am not overly familiar with them. However, if you are not comfortable with your decision, I strongly suggest that you post pone your procedure wire then jumping in the chair and doing something you’re not comfortable with and don’t fully understand.

it sounds like you’ve been reading this for him for sometime, but since you are not confident in your decision, I suggest postpone your procedure and spend some time doing more research. At the end of the day, physician selection is crucial and it’s also important that you fully understand what you were getting involved in.  Even if you select an outstanding surgeon, it’s crucial that you have realistic expectations as to what you can expect and you understand the process of how it works, when you should see your results, the phases in between, whether or not you’re gonna need subsequent procedures to meet your long-term goals, etc.

So until all the above is clear and confident to you, I strongly suggest postponing.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.