Does Minoxidil do anything significant if I am already on Fin ?

sandie

I am considering a hair transplant.

As part of the surgey the clinic (Eugenix) recommended that I stop applying topical Minoxidil 15 days prior to the surgery and for up to 3 months after.

Understandable even if they're being extremely consservative.

But they said that they anyway don't believe that Minoxidil does much especially in regards with the fact that I am already on Fin.

I found this a bit surprising but when I thought about it, it kinda made sense to me.

I thought they work differently in that Fin blocks DHT and so blocks DHT attacking the hair follicles that lead to their shrinking and eventual dormancy.

And Min worked by dilating blood vessels in the skull and so assists in the hair growth cycle.

Hair follicles have more blood supply and so they have more access to the nutrients that they need to perform.

I am not aware of any other mechanism for hair growth that Min enables.

So, in theory if the main reason for hair loss is not poor nutrition to follicles which should be true for most younger people or generally people in good health, Min should have very little effect with or without Fin.

Fin on the other hand stops the only reason that we know for androgenetic aloepicia.

Has anyone tried Min alone with great results ?

Or has anyone tried Fin alone with great result ?

And finally - what would be really telling is if someone tried both Min & Fin and then stopped Min without any significant effect in the longer term (short term shed may happen as hair follicles are so susceptible to minor changes like blood supply).

In very simple terms Fin will mantain hair and Minox will regrow/thicken minituarized hair.

So yeah, the combination of them is (research proven) to be more effective than any of them as a monotherapy.

Eugenix opinion is cool, but it is definetely not backed by scientific research. You have dozens of studies proving minoxidil increases hair around 16hairs per cm2, and 12hairs/cm2 for Fin avg after 6 months in males. Fin is a 5ARI degrader that inhibits DHT and Minox acts on the anagen phase via WNT b-catenin upregulation. Completely different drugs in that regard.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Thanks 1