Should I do FUT or FUE?

I have hair that would be a norwood 3, I had 2 previous HT, both FUT many years ago, the first was done by a bad surgeon and gave me little grafts and the second was a failure, so I'm looking for a 3rd transplant of close to 2000 grafts with a top Dr known for doing either FUE or FUT

My question is, since I have already 2 scars, and I have zero goals of rocking a very short haircut or a fade haircut or anything like that in the future, what is the way to go in my particular case in order to preserve as many grafts as possible for the future, FUT or FUE?

Probably FUT however, keep in mind as you'll recall the downtime from that FUT healing is longer than FUE... so if you're active and stuff that might be a factor. 2k grafts isn't that much and this being 3rd HT you might be settling into the a good place with your hair so donor preservation might be not that big a difference with FUt vs FUE at this point 

depends on how much elasticity you have left. the scalp is not an endless supply of strips. after two strips you may not be able to get out much in which case you will need an FUE by default. 

Edited by shiba1985

• Administrators

What are your goals? Do you plan on wearing your hair short? Do you wear it long? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

What are your goals? Do you plan on wearing your hair short? Do you wear it long? 

I don’t wear my hair short, or a fade type haircut nor I ever plant to, medium length to long is how I wear it

What would you recommend?

7 hours ago, shiba1985 said:

depends on how much elasticity you have left. the scalp is not an endless supply of strips. after two strips you may not be able to get out much in which case you will need an FUE by default. 

How can the Dr know this if I do an online consultation only beforehand and only see him in person the day of the surgery as I travel from far away?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor

@Gabbck it depends on the elasticity of your scalp ..choose a doctor who performs both..fut and fue..and thn during personal consultation let him take the decision ...thr is no one method suits all so it depends on you scalp and donor and you preferred hair style and your expectations ...so i would suggest to book a doctor who performs both and than visit 2 dags prior to the surgery date and take you decision with your advice of your doctor 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023