Dr. Bisanga or Dr. Mwamba?

2 hours ago, Gasper20 said:

Bisanga now requires in-person consultation prior to transplant so it's challenging for people like me in the states. I will look into Dr. Mwamba now if they have comparable results.

yes this is one of the reasons I went with Mwamba. While in-person consults are obviously ideal, its unrealistic for a working non-rich person to stop everything and fly to Brussels just for a consultation lol. 

Personal consultation before surgery is very important. What if someone from some reason is not a candidate for a hair transplant and may be doing more harm than good to themselves?

Are there no good surgeons in the USA?

On 12/15/2022 at 7:51 PM, WhereIsMyMind said:

Yeah to me it sounds crazy but they didn't really stop extracting and inserting at any moment. I think one of the main reasons my surgery took so long is bc they had to split a lot of grafts under the microscope. I didn't have any single grafts at all.

Fue Clinic performs 2 operations a day by 3 people at the same time (dr Mwamba + 2 technicians) Maybe the doctor saves a lot on personnel, hence the exceptionally long operations and communication problems?

I'm not making a claim, just asking.

Wrong! I got a HT with Dr.M for 3 days and i was the only patient in the clinic the whole time ! Mwamba, Ali, and the other two techs only for me ! No communication problems for me !

Edited by omarca

27 minutes ago, omarca said:

Wrong! I got a HT with Dr.M for 3 days and i was the only patient in the clinic the whole time ! Mwamba, Ali, and the other two techs only for me ! No communication problems for me !

I had a different experience, but ok.

• Like 1

I had a consultation with Dr bisanga in Maryland. He said I needed 4,500 grafts but he would take hair from my beard and chest to make it work. It was also a hefty price, 12,000 for 2,000 grafts and another 13,000 for 2,500 extracted from bear and chest. The consultation lasted only 5 minutes. He seemed nice and professional. I just don't have that type of money now, ive seen some good results from eugenix in India, might check that out.

2 hours ago, Tybwl5 said:

I had a consultation with Dr bisanga in Maryland. He said I needed 4,500 grafts but he would take hair from my beard and chest to make it work. It was also a hefty price, 12,000 for 2,000 grafts and another 13,000 for 2,500 extracted from bear and chest. The consultation lasted only 5 minutes. He seemed nice and professional. I just don't have that type of money now, ive seen some good results from eugenix in India, might check that out.

Do not look for a more economical option if you did good research and you feel that you have found a good doctor for you. If I were you, I'd wait and save more money, continuing research to make sure I did everything I could to make the right decision. Money can be earned, spent and then earned again. There are more problems with a failed hair transplant.

Edited by Matt3210

7 hours ago, Tybwl5 said:

I would trust his advice, his track record speaks enough. He is actually known to be fairly "conservative" so I doubt he will ever advice anything risky.

I wouldn't feel super comfortable with a 5 min consultation though.. but yeah, its Bisanga. Still good.

I had a consultation with Dr bisanga in Maryland

I'm just curious, did you fly to Maryland for the consult? Or you happen to live in the area?

My issue with Bisanga is - at least for repairs - he requires in-person consults. While i 100% understand the reasoning, most ordinary people do not have the resources or convenience to travel to Brussels, or even just Maryland, solely for a consult. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

5 minutes?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I'm just curious, did you fly to Maryland for the consult? Or you happen to live in the area?

My issue with Bisanga is - at least for repairs - he requires in-person consults. While i 100% understand the reasoning, most ordinary people do not have the resources or convenience to travel to Brussels, or even just Maryland, just for a consult. 

Ya same here.  I would have to fly to east coast from CA just for a consult.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Calihome1 said:

Ya same here.  I would have to fly to east coast from CA just for a consult.

It's the main reason I chose Mwamba as my repair surgeon. Mwamba is cool and understand that as a "garden-variety" repair patient, pictures and a webcam consult alone were enough to assess my candidacy. 

It's unfortunate that Bisanga was never an option for me, but no regrets as Mwamba is just as good as Bisanga at repairs I'd say, and for all I know maybe I would have gone with Mwamba even if I was able to have a Bisanga consult. 

To be fair, Cooley also requires in-person consults for repairs, which is no less frustrating than Bisanga requiring them. 

• Like 1

Maybe in your case it was enough, but not always everything is visible on the camera.

example: someone is norwood 3, and wants a straight hairline norwood 1. On a personal consultation, you can see slightly weaker hair on the top of the head and on the crown. This predicts further hair loss in the future up to norwood 5,6 or 7. Any ethic doctor will not accept the patient's goal of norwood 1. An unethical doctor will sell everything and does not care about the patient's perspective in 10-20 years later. So I consider it unethical when a doctor always listens to the patient's goals (not the doctor's) A more reasonable is compromise between the patient and doctor.

I encourage to consult in person before surgery.

• Like 1

1) Dr Mwamba said 2,600 grafts and you said 3,000. Less is more and more is less in hair transplant surgery.

2) You mentioned clinic looked modern. Your only concern should skills of a doctor and the instruments available with him/her.

3) You also mentioned that it will take days. Again a positive sign showing the surgeon would not rush things, I agree sitting there for a long time will be an issue.

Thanks for the post, it will help others make an informed decision.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this. I am similar to you NW4 and thin lighter hair.

I am trying to decide who to go with. As someone else mentioned, it's easier to get results with think black hair. Is Bisanga known for working on lighter hair too?

I have stated before that Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Mwamba and I all worked together for the same clinic so I had the opportunity firsthand to get to know them and both of them worked on me on my third procedure…they placed the majority of my grafts and the procedure took approximately 7 hours.

My experience was that Dr. Mwamba was far more patient and attentive to detail and he placed more of my grafts overall…also, they are very close friends however I felt Dr. Bisanga talked socially too much during the procedure and left the room more often whereas Dr. Mwamba was extremely focused and meticulous making extra sure that every graft he placed was at the proper depth and angle.

Another thing that I sincerely appreciated about Dr. Mwamba was that every so often he held a hand mirror up so I could see how the graft placement was going, and at the end he was the one who took extra time to make sure every detail was performed to my satisfaction in spite of the fact we were fellow employees…he really takes pride in everything he does…he’s very humble.

So yes I was happy with their work however if I had to choose between them, no question my choice would be Dr. Mwamba hands down!

• Like 4

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

21 hours ago, gillenator said:

I have stated before that Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Mwamba and I all worked together for the same clinic so I had the opportunity firsthand to get to know them and both of them worked on me on my third procedure…they placed the majority of my grafts and the procedure took approximately 7 hours.

My experience was that Dr. Mwamba was far more patient and attentive to detail and he placed more of my grafts overall…also, they are very close friends however I felt Dr. Bisanga talked socially too much during the procedure and left the room more often whereas Dr. Mwamba was extremely focused and meticulous making extra sure that every graft he placed was at the proper depth and angle.

Another thing that I sincerely appreciated about Dr. Mwamba was that every so often he held a hand mirror up so I could see how the graft placement was going, and at the end he was the one who took extra time to make sure every detail was performed to my satisfaction in spite of the fact we were fellow employees…he really takes pride in everything he does…he’s very humble.

So yes I was happy with their work however if I had to choose between them, no question my choice would be Dr. Mwamba hands down!

Interesting insight, thank you.

I would prefer mwamba. Mwamba spends more time with every patient explaining everything and also during the surgery he seems to take very good care of each patient participating and supervising every single step of the procedure.

Also mwamba is less expensive than dr bisanga…

Edited by Jackdaniels
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 8:54 AM, Tybwl5 said:

@Tybwl5 Please tell me, how did you get a consultation in Maryland? I am in the region and desperately need a consult 😭 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 12:16 AM, HimDuncan said:

@Tybwl5 Please tell me, how did you get a consultation in Maryland? I am in the region and desperately need a consult 😭 

You just go to the website and sign up for a consultation. I wish he wasn't so expensive but it prolly will be done right

He lives in Maryland.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY