DHT Levels (scalp vs serum)

jim1973

Curious if anyone has had their DHT levels measured prior to starting Finasteride or Dutasteride and then again after the meds have been in their system long enough.  Also, not sure if possible but is there a way to measure DHT levels in scalp vs serum?  I've only had my DHT level tested years after I began taking meds but never before so didn't have a baseline to compare to.  My last results were below normal range, which seems good but I'm still losing hair, so wondering if I'm crushing my DHT too much in serum and if I should ease up a bit and or if the meds just aren't affecting my scalp DHT enough.  If there is an article or previous thread addressing this, or if somebody had experience with this, I'd appreciate feedback. Thank you.  

• Administrators

Getting your scalp DHT checked is a lot harder. You need a biopsy, then you need a lab that can read it. I want to get this done before and after using Xyon. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

What matters in terms of hair loss is pilosebaceous unit/follicle dht levels. There is no way to accurately measure this.

You can test serum level dht levels to see how much a drug is lowering your systemic dht levels. But this won’t tell you how effective the drug is in terms of stopping your male pattern baldness. Imo the only way to really gauge how effectively a drug is working is to stay on it for at least 6-12 months and see if there has been any deterioration.