Behavior of multi-grafts?

Hi all,

Something I cannot find here on the forum and elsewhere on the web is how multi-grafts (should) behave.

Myself I have a lot a few multi-grafts where one hair grows and the other from the same graft remain stubble, or shed. I'm wondering: Are they suppose to grow simultaneously or separate? And is it possible that with extraction one was damaged, and one wasn't? 

You would say that if the graft is dormant, that neither one of de multi-grafts would grow. And when it's anagen (awake) both grow.

I am unable to take a photo of my situation bc of my camera quality, but this screenshot of a YT video shows it.

image.png.7a079fd09bd9b6121246d66af6e69577.png

Cory,

this is an interesting question. As I’m sure you know, all hair goes through growth cycles and as a result, while most of your hairs are growing, some are shedding and others are in the resting phase. In terms of a multi-haired follicular unit, while they all grow very close together, each hair still has its own follicle and as a result, hairs within the same follicular unit could be in different phases of the growth cycle.  This is at least how I understand it but I can check with Dr. Rahal to see what he says about that.

in terms of extraction and whether or not one follicle could be damaged, yes it is possible but rare in the hands of a skilled surgeon and experienced technicians.   However, if the hairs are growing within the same foot of the unit just seem to be in different parts of the growth cycle, This is evidence suggesting that there has been no damage to any of the follicles.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Take a pair of fine tipped tweezers and gentle pull on the stubble.

There's a good chance it will just slide out and you have removed a dead hair.

The follicle will most likely still be viable and the process of removing the dead hair will help the new hair push through.

If you feel any resistance or tugging leave it.

• Thanks 1