Hairstyle and hairline design

Hi Network – Should one discuss one’s potential future hairstyle choices when planning a procedure?

I am not referring to extreme choices such as going from a full head of hair to a crew cut or an extreme low fade, I was just considering subtle variations such as parting styles, a comb back style, something like a quaff maybe, or a professional side part or a pompadour

Would a surgeon design the hairline differently if he knows how one would style their hair versus not knowing one’s future style preferences?

The realistic answer is 'not really', as the whole idea of a hair transplant is to achieve good density so that you can wear your hair however you want, not be locked into a particular hairstyle as in your comb-over/pathetic-attempt-to-hide-it days. It could come up during a consultation as longer hair generally provides more coverage and a more transplant-friendly result. Also, if you want to keep your hair buzzed, you might as well get some SMP on your scalp and save yourself some money. It could be part of the discussion but a fairly insignificant one. 

I agree with the above. The hairline design is based purely on what your finite donor and hair loss level would allow. 

You also have the fact that a person could scar differently and if you have more visible/white FUE scars, then you may want to SMP there and basically let you wear your hair shorter. 

That said, a Norwood 2/3 could probably get much better coverage and style hair than say a Norwood 7 with a much more limited donor and conservative higher hairline. 

• Moderators

I'd say it depends. For NW 4 and below it shouldn't matter much, but if you are NW 6 or 7 then you may have to part your hair on the side to get an illusion of coverage. Some Drs suggest weighting the grafts to the part side, so you can make a good part and grow your hair long and comb it over to cover the rest. Some men seem to like that and it can give you better coverage, but I was never really a fan of it myself, at least not when it's too heavily done. However there is an art to placing a limited supply of grafts into areas where they will make the most visual difference and that is certainly better achieved if you discuss how you would like to comb your hair. This is one reason why some Drs prefer working without shaving your head. They get a better idea of how your hair lays on your head and where thin spots are. For example my hair has a bit of a wave to it, so if I shaved my head the Dr wouldn't know how and where it curls. With long hair it's easier to see that the hair falls a certain way, so there may be thin spots where its curling away from which can use a few grafts, but maybe you don't need any where the hair curls towards.

• Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.