Crown hair transplant

Hello everyone,

I'm considering a hair transplant for my crown area and I'm wondering how many grafts you think that I really need for a decent coverage. Is 2.5k will be enough to cover?

I will appreciate anyone help and advice, thank you!

Cheers!

PXL_20221128_161416533~2.jpg

PXL_20221128_161528464~2.jpg

PXL_20221128_161532336~2.jpg

Hi 

when you shave all that down that’s a crown,into mid scalp ,frontal third ,with laterals needing attention etc ..you need to re asses your expectations and budget because you won’t have much change out of 5 to 6K grafts or perhaps even a little more .

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

What I would want to consider is that your crown (going on these pics) appears to be dropping quite low in the back down to the coronet. When you add the lateral humps dipping then you realise just how large an area that requires coverage. You could throw 5k grafts into that area and the density will have to be realistic. Then you have to factor in the frontal area. I would first be looking at medication and see what gains you can make after one year before even considering surgery. All the best. 

Thank you everyone for the answers! 

I really thought that 2.5k to 3k will resolve this crown situation, but it looks like I need way more than that... 

Do you think that a HT worth it at this point? 5-6k sounds like non realistic to do with what I have left in my donor areas.

Also, the 2.5k grafts will make it look like a bit more thicker, but will never cover the scalp, right?

Thanks again!

You have an advanced pattern and expanding.

One of the very basics in this industry is donor limitation.  There's typically not enough hair to allow for fullness in the front, top and back.  It's for this reason most ethical doctors will concentrate their efforts in the frontal area.  It's the area you see when looking at yourself.  It's also the area others see when they interact with you.  Having hair in the front will frame your face and provide additional coverage as you let it grow.  Now the crown.

Think of the crown as a circle.  You fill it with hair.  Because you've shown the propensity to lose, you'll continue losing.  You go on to lose all the hair around the island worth of hair.  You've now created a target.  Not a natural pattern.  It's for this reason retention of the native hair becomes imperative.  

Propecia and Rogaine are considered to be the best meds for retention in the crown.  The problem is that of expectations a year later.  Most patients get frustrated and stop when they see no visual change - not understanding - the meds are not intended for you to grow anything.  Rather, they're to keep you from losing more.  If a year later you look exactly the same, the meds did what they were intended to do.  Go ahead and research PRP and Laser.  These two can help reverse miniaturized hairs, which you seem to have a lot of. 

The crown is the weakest point we all share due to the whirl.  It's the point from which the hair stems.  That is, no hair is coming into the area.  Hair grows outwards from the point.  It would take many, many procedures and grafts to fill it.  Let me illustrate.

Grab a piece of paper and a pencil.  Draw a dot.  Draw an intersecting cross right on the dot.  Turn the paper ever so slightly and draw another cross.  Repeat until you tire.  How many crosses do you think it would take to fill in the circle?  This area is a sphere and can eat your entire donor.  Eventually I can hear you ask, "why did you put my entire donor in the crown when I now have nothing left for the front, and still look bald?"  Remember, it's the front everyone sees when they interact with you.

Getting on all modalities for a good year is not a bad idea.  Transplants pending outcome.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.