Thoughts On Flying Post Op

Considering flying for a procedure. Relatively small procedure so done in a day... then I was thinking of staying 3 or 4 days at the hotel post HT. Is this overkill, unnecessary? Ideally I'd like to be getting back home sooner than later but it's a long flight and I'm thinking safest to eliminate danger variables in those first days. Any other traveler HT folks with insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have this same anxiety. My surgeon Dr. Mwamba said grafts are more or less secure by 36 hours, and are 100% secure by 72 hours. 

You are going to get people in here saying grafts need 7-10 days till they are secure, but clinics just say that to prevent patients from doing idiotic behavior. It really is 3 days. 

For my last surgery with Dr. Mwamba I flew back home on post-op Day 2. I have another surgery with him in January and am also flying back home on post op Day 2. 

Technically, if its under 72 hours, the grafts can theoretically come out, so it is a valid concern. 

Just be cautious, as long as you don't bump your head on anything or have overhead luggage fall on you, you should be fine. It's not hard to prevent bumping your head if you are on guard about it. 

I do think staying 3-4 days post op cooped up in a hotel is overkill. You are going to be very bored and will probably resent not booking an earlier flight. 

All these cases online I see of grafts getting dislodged are preventable. Just be very cognizant of your surroundings. 

Strongly suggest you fly home ASAP. It's so much better to be at home after surgery. Ideal is window seat in a bulk head row so you can easily get in/out and also avoid chance of falling luggage during boarding. That being said, I had an aisle seat coming home from my second surgery and it was fine, if not just a little nerve wracking.

Edited by shadowcast

• Valued Contributor

I think it never hurts to stay a few days post op just to ensure that the grafts have been given some time to anchor into their new recipient area. On my next procedure in January I have booked a window seat in the emergency exit row. Having said that I was stuck in the middle isle on my first procedure and I sprayed my grafts every two hours without a fuss. All the best!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I think it never hurts to stay a few days post op just to ensure that the grafts have been given some time to anchor into their new recipient area. On my next procedure in January I have booked a window seat in the emergency exit row. Having said that I was stuck in the middle isle on my first procedure and I sprayed my grafts every two hours without a fuss. All the best!

For now many days post op is spraying required?

Also, I plan on staying in Delhi for about 6 days after op, as the clinic have offered head scrub prior to departing to airport - is such overkill? I figured best to stay as long as possible and get any feedback at time of head scrub...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyDouglas said:

I stayed 10 days in my hotel overseas afterwards and absolutely no regrets!

I had everything I needed.

I also wanted to be close to the clinic so I could go back every second day for checkups and washes.

who was your surgeon?!?!

you must be a rich guy, very pricey to stay cooped up in hotel for 10 days.