Megasession Experiences with Dr. Sharon Keene

Dear forum members,

I am scheduled to have a 2 day megasession for a 4500+ graft, strip procedure with Dr. Sharon Keene on Feb 17 and 18 of next month. I was wondering if any of you had experiences with 2 day megasessions who were formerly NW5 or NW6 and had good results. If any of you have had your work done with Dr. Keene, I would love to see before and after photos to indicate your levels of success with large strip megasessions. I am particularly interested in your success with graft survival from these megasessions as I will be in surgery for 8 hours each day for both days totaling 16 hours of grafts being handled. I was made aware from an article on the ISSHRS website that after 4 hours there is a 10% loss of graft survival. Dr. Sharon Keene indicated that they would only take the grafts in increments over the course of the surgery as to allow blood flow to continue to the awaiting donor grafts over the 8 hour period. I was very happy to hear that this technique is being used as I do not want to lose even the 10% since I will be using all of my available donor hair in the one surgery and am a Nw6 (see attached photo).

I will be posting my before and after photos on this thread upon 3 months post procedure and then a year afterward. I am very hopeful as I am aware that Dr. Keene is an outstanding surgeon with a solid track record and trained by the best.

Cheers

DSCtop.jpg.02df9b0618a29628e4e72b043e269378.jpg

Dear forum members,

I am scheduled to have a 2 day megasession for a 4500+ graft, strip procedure with Dr. Sharon Keene on Feb 17 and 18 of next month. I was wondering if any of you had experiences with 2 day megasessions who were formerly NW5 or NW6 and had good results. If any of you have had your work done with Dr. Keene, I would love to see before and after photos to indicate your levels of success with large strip megasessions. I am particularly interested in your success with graft survival from these megasessions as I will be in surgery for 8 hours each day for both days totaling 16 hours of grafts being handled. I was made aware from an article on the ISSHRS website that after 4 hours there is a 10% loss of graft survival. Dr. Sharon Keene indicated that they would only take the grafts in increments over the course of the surgery as to allow blood flow to continue to the awaiting donor grafts over the 8 hour period. I was very happy to hear that this technique is being used as I do not want to lose even the 10% since I will be using all of my available donor hair in the one surgery and am a Nw6 (see attached photo).

I will be posting my before and after photos on this thread upon 3 months post procedure and then a year afterward. I am very hopeful as I am aware that Dr. Keene is an outstanding surgeon with a solid track record and trained by the best.

Cheers

FormerlySamson good luck on your upcoming surgery.

I was made aware from an article on the ISSHRS website that after 4 hours there is a 10% loss of graft survival

I disagree with this. There is alot of example that show this is incorrect. London Lad for example had surgery for 18 hours straight and recieved 7700 grafts. Take a look at his pictures if you like.

I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Keene so you are in great hands. I am curious since I have never heard of a strip surgery lasting two days. Is your surgery FUE by change? If not how is the strip taken out? Half one day and half the other, one strip each day, above or below the other then at the end there is only one line, or two seperate strips? Anyways I am just curious.

Once again good luck and keep us posted.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Seems as if Dr. Keene is the only one doing 2 day mega sessions. The first I had ever heard of this was just a couple days ago upon viewing a thread with SirFiveHead who had something like 3600 over 2 days. Apparently Dr. Keene does all the graft placement herself as well. I personally think that some well trained techs placing the grafts is probably more effective since I would think one person placing 3600 grafts would tend to lose concentration with such a tedious process. For those who think the Dr. should perform every part of the procedure then you should be calling Dr. Keene. Dr. Keene does seem to produce top notch consistent results so if that is what works for her then I would say her results speak for themselves.

FormerlySamson,

Good luck! Your hair loss is very similar to mine. I had a 4506 session with Dr. Cooley two month ago and it lasted from 7am (the first hour or so was doing some paperwork and getting some med's) to 11:30pm. So, I was there for 16.5 hours. It was a great experience and be ready to watch some movies. I watched 7 movies and had a lunch and dinner break.

But, I do not know how your Dr. is going to do a two day strip procedure. Either way good luck.

At first I thought that it would have to be bad to come back that next day and get cut again. However, I suppose once you get a couple more of those shots it probably doesn't make a difference as far as pain goes.

And really, the pain meds don't wear off for a few days anyway. Keep us informed as it will be interesting to know how that feels and works. Good luck.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Lorenzo,

I've had discussions with patients and physicians about a 2 day strip procedure in the past. Though I personally would rather get it all done in one day, one advantage of doing it over 2 is you don't have to spend as much time in the chair in a single day. Its disadvantage in my opinion is that you have to get cut open twice and deal with the day after, twice.

FormerlySamson,

Be sure to use the "find" feature to see what Dr. Keene's patients have been saying and view their photos. You can also see examples of her work in the "Results Posted by Leading Hair Transplant Clinics" section of the forum and on our patient weblogs.

Best wishes,

Bill

I think Dr. Keene plans to cut half of the strip one day and half the next. At least that is what she told me on the phone so I believe that to be her strategy. I don't mind the two day surgery plan since I only live 1.5 hrs from her clinic. I suppose the only drawback is getting shots twice but I think this technique allows her to do all of the work which I prefer. Techs come and go but Dr. Keene has demonstrated consistently good work according to these forums and other docs I spoke with so I trust my scalp to her hands. At least I know with some consistency what I am going to get as an outcome with her doing the graft placements rather than what the latest hired technician could be learning to do on me at another clinic.

Thanks Bill I didn't know that. Interesting.....

At least I know with some consistency what I am going to get as an outcome with her doing the graft placements rather than what the latest hired technician could be learning to do on me at another clinic.

I wish you the best, you are having a world class transplant with a world class doctor. I am not sure if you make these statement to convince yourself or get reassurrance. You are dealing with very knowledgable posters on this site so these statements do very little. In order to place grafts in a top clinic it take a certain person with many years of experience. Sometimes there are as many as 4 tech placing grafts two at a time, one on each side, so that fatigue doesn't set in.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Just making those statements about her doing the placements as to emphasize my personal preference and confidence in the choice. However, I'm sure there are skilled techs at many clinics. Its just that I don't know the track record of an individual tech or who they are and their names are not posted on this forum for me to gather evidence of results. I guess this is just the scientist in me coming out.

lorenzo,

Here is the link to the link about percentages of graft survival over time.

(site link not allowed here)

There is also an article on this same topic in a medical journal that reports similar findings. I'm sure it varies per patient. Dr. Keene has just informed me that she will take strips in increments as follows: 1st day one section of the strip the first four hours and one section of the strip the second four hours (all total 1/2 of the strip procedure the 1st day). On the second day a repeat with the second half of the strip also divided in two four hour increments. I feel confident that I will not lose more than 5% of my total grafts with this procedure given the well thought out strategy of timing the harvesting and placements by Dr. Keene.

Thanks for your reference. Since the majority of the doctors are unable to do large session it is understandable why they would say this. I agree if most doctor would attempt larger session they would probaly get even a lower percentage.

Since you have a scientific way of thinking, they are quoting a test that is done from 1992, don't you think things change in 17 years especially in the medical community.

Anyways good luck......Don't beleive everything you heard or read......seeing is the truth answer...

formerlysamson:

Good luck with your HT with dr. Keene, you are in good hands. Just like you, i would rather trust my doctor over any techs, who, like you said, come and go.

Now that you detailed your game plan for the HT, I am even more impressed with dr. Keene, as she is going way out of her way in order to achieve the absolute best result. I think she is the only doctor who extracts a strip every 4 hours. And yes, regardless of study/findings, it is common sense that the longer the grafts are out of your body, the less likely they will survive. If i were to have such a large session, i would not mind having HT over two days.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley