Minimizing Appearance of Scar

Any tips to minimize the appearance of the donor scar (strip-harvesting method)? Specifically, any tips as to what to do once external sutures have been removed?

Were you given bactroban ointment? If so, do you use this after the sutures have been removed?

Silicon-gel sheets seem impractical for use in the area.

Thanks.

Any tips to minimize the appearance of the donor scar (strip-harvesting method)? Specifically, any tips as to what to do once external sutures have been removed?

Were you given bactroban ointment? If so, do you use this after the sutures have been removed?

Silicon-gel sheets seem impractical for use in the area.

Thanks.

Thanks, Bill.

Honestly, I'm not looking for a way to "speed" the process up; just to help it occur as efficiently and successfully as it can. I've been thinking about Mederma, but many opinions I've heard (a few of them from dermatologists) have said the product is complete nonsense. On one hand, I'm a bit tempted to adopt the "it can't hurt to try it" attitude; on the other, I'm opposed to trying random crap just for the sake of "giving it a shot."

Maybe time is all that's required. Maybe I'll buy a tube of something. I don't know...

Originally posted by Dr. Bernard Arocha:

That is correct Bill, it does take 6-12 months for scars to mature. Subjecting the immature scar to tension forces during this period will result in widening of the scar and increase collagen production.

This is a big concern of mine as I know once the time comes mine will be stretched. icon_frown.gifI enjoy heavy weight lifting. Using light to moderate weights does not feel like Im doing anything. I will follow the instructions to the T for not exercising for 2 weeks or so but after that it will be hard for me to keep away from the 90 lb dumbells and 300 lb bench press attempts. I know I am screwed icon_eek.gif