Sethi or Pittella for high Norwood cases?

Jackhair

I am wondering who would be the best surgeon to go with for extensive Norwood cases. I have pretty good donor hair so I think between my beard and scalp hair I could get a good result, but which is the better option? 

I think Eugenix as a whole have great donor management and seem more careful when extracting hair, but from what I’ve heard Dr Sethi has less involvement in hands-on extraction than he used to have. On the other hand I’ve seen Dr. Pittella use a lot more grafts than seems necessary on some patients, and he also seems less concerned about overall hair treatment as a whole than the Eugenix team (he doesn’t suggest Finasteride or dutasteride for example).

Pittella does seem to have better aesthetic results, certainly in the short term. I don’t know about if his approach is also safe for preserving hair long term, and if he takes into account possible future hair transplants, but his immediate results look great even in patients with extensive loss.

So when it comes to donor I do think Eugenix tends to play it safer, which makes me think I should go with them, but I’m also concerned that Dr Sethi doesn’t have the same role in his procedures that he used to have, and therefore can I still expect similar results? 

I have heard some good feedback regarding his team of technicians though so maybe if they have worked well together and for a long time maybe the results are still at a high standard?

I know a lot of people here are more experienced than me when it comes to both of these guys, I’d appreciate some insight from anyone who is willing to share it. Basically what are their current practices and what should I be expecting from them? 

I would consider Zarev but he’s seemingly impossible to make contact with.

Thanks!

I just want to comment that Pitella doesn’t prescribe finasteride because he wouldn’t be comfortable taking it himself. I’d actually rather go to a doctor who believes that his work is enough to restore hair as opposed to needing to rely on meds which often end up failing or leading to side effects.  

• Like 2

Dr pittella extracts many grafts at once…more than 6000 grafts in one day. Do u think this would be good donor management? While eugenix exctrats them in more days and he extracts from beards too…

I think Sethi is not involved in many cases now and he is involved mostly in special cases like Famous patients etc…so I think dr arrika would be more feasible to be involved in your surgery.  

Edited by Jackdaniels

Dr Sethi and Pitella are both at the peak when it comes to skill in high Norwood cases.

I think that there are a few key differences. Sethi has garnered a reputation of being skillful with beard hair. Whilst Pitella is very good at body hair and beard hair. In the end however they are both excellent choices.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

32 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

I just want to comment that Pitella doesn’t prescribe finasteride because he wouldn’t be comfortable taking it himself. I’d actually rather go to a doctor who believes that his work is enough to restore hair as opposed to needing to rely on meds which often end up failing or leading to side effects.  

No matter how good a hair transplant is, it won’t be good enough to prevent further loss.

• Administrators

They are both excellent doctors, though I do believe that Dr. Sethi has massively scaled back his surgeries. I'm not sure you can book surgery with him unless you're a past patient.  He has opened a school in his village in India, and is focusing on philanthropy. It's a beautiful thing, but sucks for new patients. Hopefully next year it starts taking on more patients. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

19 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

They are both excellent doctors, though I do believe that Dr. Sethi has massively scaled back his surgeries. I'm not sure you can book surgery with him unless you're a past patient.  He has opened a school in his village in India, and is focusing on philanthropy. It's a beautiful thing, but sucks for new patients. Hopefully next year it starts taking on more patients. 

I thought so too, but I have been talking to one of their team on WhatsApp and I have booked to do a session with him, the cost is the same as the one where Dr Arika Bansal does the designing, planning, 100% slits, 100% extraction and up to 400 implants.

I have been told that the one I have booked for will include Dr Sethi doing the planning, design, and 100% slits, and his team do the rest.

Is that his usual package?

• 2 months later...

@Jackhair

If i were you, I will go to India and let Eugenix operate on me. Higher NWs should not think more as Eugenix is a perfect fit for them in terms of cost, services, hospitality, and safety. If you were NW2-3, I would have suggested you couple of other options. 

Watch their YouTube channel, I guess every week they operate on 15-20 higher NW cases. Share your pictures here and people can give you better advice my friend. 

On 10/13/2022 at 6:07 PM, Fox243 said:

This is not a logical conclusion. Just casue a doctor does not believe in the medication, does not mean that his work "stands" by itself. Pitella is around for less than a few years and much shorter on this forum. WE have no idea how his work will stand the test of time in 8-10 years. 

It is much easier for a physician to go along with the patients view, than to actually give them an unfavorable but evidence based opinion. 

For e.g. if you have bad diabetes mellitus. Doctor A tells patient i dont believe in medications you can do diet and exercise you will be fine. Doctor B says we need to get this under control for your long term health, unfortunately it will require medications.  The basic uneducated patient will probably think Dr A is the better doctor not realizing their bias.