Increase my Fin Dosage?

Been on Fin for 17yrs.  It’s stabilized my loss in that ive had only slight thinning over that time period.  However, the past 3-4 weeks I’ve been shedding more than I’ve seen in the past 17 years and I’m considering my options.

Was thinking about trying to switch to Dut but am worried about the sides.

Ran across the following article from Dr. Bernstein and quote below.  Should I consider holding off on switching and try upping my Fin dosage to 2.5mg daily?

Currently at 1.25mg

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/answers/cycling-the-dose-of-propecia/

When patients do become acclimated to these drugs (which seem to be common after 3 to 5 years) we increase the daily dose of finasteride gradually up to 5mg and then consider switching to dutasteride 0.5mg a day.”

Thoughts?

Edited by Calihome1

you're doubling the dose... you might still not be affected by the side effect, but doubling the dose means the chance of the side affecting you is more than double, as this isn't a "basic math" problem. are you stressed or having a different lifestyle for last past month? because it's likely that such shedding are triggered, rather than just occuring.

you can up the dose, but i'd say to check if there are any other cause first. there are people who's saying that sometime fin just stopped working... if that is the case, then you should probably switch to dut instead.

7 hours ago, mafpe said:

you're doubling the dose... you might still not be affected by the side effect, but doubling the dose means the chance of the side affecting you is more than double, as this isn't a "basic math" problem. are you stressed or having a different lifestyle for last past month? because it's likely that such shedding are triggered, rather than just occuring.

you can up the dose, but i'd say to check if there are any other cause first. there are people who's saying that sometime fin just stopped working... if that is the case, then you should probably switch to dut instead.

I had Covid for the second time 2 months ago, and I’ve read that hair loss can be an after affect, so it’s hard to say.  But, all of a sudden 3 weeks ago, bam shedding I haven’t seen in 17yrs.  Scary 

@Calihome1,

keep in mind that it is normal to lose between 50 to 100 hairs day even if you are on finasteride. Men who aren’t experiencing any hair loss also experience hair shedding. Now, a lot of things can trigger additional hair shedding including a change in seasons.  Because of this, I’m not so sure that doubling your dosage of finasteride is necessary at this time although I understand your concern.  I agree with those who’ve asked about any lifestyle changes over the last month. Consider answering that question to yourself and even providing your thoughts on this topic.

if you are going to seriously consider upping your dose of finasteride or switch to dutasteride, I suggest speaking to a doctor first.  You’re concerned about switching to testride because of the possibility of side effects. Doubling (or more) your dosage of finasteride will also increase your risk of side effects.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I wouldn't bother doubling your finasteride dose tbh.  The DHT inhibition between 1mg vs 5mg is not very much.  However, a lot of surgeons now advise taking finasteride 6 days per week and Dutasteride on the 7th day.  There was a case report of a patient losing hair on finasteride that did this and regrew a lot of hair.  

I'd add in dut 1 day per week and see how it goes.  You can keep adding a day in at a time if necessary.  

• Like 1

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

I asked Dr Lorenzo this question and his response was that it doesn't stop being effective.  Just like some people's blood pressure keeps rising and they need more than one blood pressure pill, some people's hair loss is more aggressive and needs a stronger treatment.  Finasteride reduces DHT by 70% so if you have a family history of aggressive hair loss, then the chances are that the additional 30% will still do some damage slowly.  

His explanation makes a lot of sense.  

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here: