What's the recovery like immediately post-op?

Hey all,

Seeing Dr Konior in November, and I'm flying from Aus - going to be there for about 5 nights.

Can anyone share insight into how groggy/reluctant I may be to leave?

I don't want to book a hotel with nothing but a bed, and then be forced to leave each day if I don't feel up to it.

Essentially, do I get a hotel, and then venture out for necessities each day? Or, a self-contained unit, and just stock up on food/drink and stay put for a few days?

Thanks all

I think everybody is a bit different. I personally hunkered down in my hotel room for 4 days and just went down for breakfast and ordered room service. You can definitely go out for walks or to restaurants after 1-2 days already. I've read from some people in here who went sight seeing the day after the procedure.

4 minutes ago, HortonC said:

I think everybody is a bit different. I personally hunkered down in my hotel room for 4 days and just went down for breakfast and ordered room service. You can definitely go out for walks or to restaurants after 1-2 days already. I've read from some people in here who went sight seeing the day after the procedure.

Thanks mate. I think that will be me. I won't be overly keen on heading out to see any sights. I would be most comfortable just relaxing until I leave I think 

Personally i preferred to stay indoors as much as possible and spray the saline spray as much as possible. I would say its best to have a means to order food in to the room or eat at the hotel. 

In the first 7 days, you want to minimise any potential affect on the grafts such as hitting your head or  sleeping on them etc. to cause trauma. 

I would personally say that you should get a chunky memory foam pillow and find a recliner to sleep upright with pillows around you for comfort. 

I personally wouldn't treat the HT when travelling as a tourist activity which is how some people do when going Turkey etc. as i think it can affect your outcome but then again, i'm probably a bit more paranoid on my actions. 

4 hours ago, Jerome said:

Thats gonna be so hard to sleep upright.

Personally i don't sleep upright, but a comfy recliner/single seater sofa was so easy for me to use. I actually found it significantly more difficult when i didn't have that available near the end of the first week. 

There's plenty of tricks to make it more comfortable but the bottom line is, you went through surgery and it will be a rough time generally trying to make sure you get through the first crucial weeks.