Finasterine and hair transplant

ndksv22

I plan on getting a hair transplant in about two or three years. I don‘t want to voluntarily take drugs my whole life but I can imagine trying out Finasterine until surgery. But I wonder how/if that could impact surgery. I’ve read Finasterine can  improve the donor area. So this could mean that stopping Finasterine after surgery would not only lead to loss of hair in other areas but also negatively affect the result of the surgery, for example the hairline, right? Meaning I then need it to preserve the result of the hair transplant?

And a question that is unrelated to surgeries: Assuming I start taking Finasterine (and it works), discontinue it and then lose the hair that recovered. Could I do it again or does it only work once?

Finasteride works. There's no question of "if". It works if you've hairloss caused by DHT. 

All hairloss medication works best at maintaining rather than regrowing hair. Finasteride doesn't regrow hair except in rare cases but the results aren't spectacular. It is only for maintenance, preventing further hairloss. If you lose your hair, finasteride will not regrow them. Minoxidil MIGHT but most likely won't. 

Reason finasteride is recommended before surgery is to prevent further norwood loss so you still have HT as an option and require less grafts. Not using finasteride doesn't necessarily mean bad hair result. If the doctor takes hairs from safe zone those hairs are permanent whether you use fin or not. But most surgeons take hairs from unsafe zone too and in that case if you're destined to be NW7, you will need to be on fin otherwise the hairs will miniaturise.

There are people who had hair transplants in the 90s and they still have their hairlines while the area behind has disappeared because the hairs were taken from safe zones. This is also why you want to be on finasteride so you don't leave your transplanted hairs alone while the native fall off leaving island of bald patches where native hair used to be

2 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

Finasteride works. There's no question of "if". It works if you've hairloss caused by DHT. 

All hairloss medication works best at maintaining rather than regrowing hair. Finasteride doesn't regrow hair except in rare cases but the results aren't spectacular. It is only for maintenance, preventing further hairloss. If you lose your hair, finasteride will not regrow them. Minoxidil MIGHT but most likely won't. 

Reason finasteride is recommended before surgery is to prevent further norwood loss so you still have HT as an option and require less grafts. Not using finasteride doesn't necessarily mean bad hair result. If the doctor takes hairs from safe zone those hairs are permanent whether you use fin or not. But most surgeons take hairs from unsafe zone too and in that case if you're destined to be NW7, you will need to be on fin otherwise the hairs will miniaturise.

There are people who had hair transplants in the 90s and they still have their hairlines while the area behind has disappeared because the hairs were taken from safe zones. This is also why you want to be on finasteride so you don't leave your transplanted hairs alone while the native fall off leaving island of bald patches where native hair used to be

Actually Propecia does not work for around 10%