dutasteride ruining people’s hairline?

i came across this thread which is asking the same question, however, id like to know what people here think, it’s really deterring me from trying dutasteride at all, i would suspect it’s just a shed etc but ive heard of a lot of people like a year after using dut that it never got better. what do u think?

Edited by Melvin- Moderator
Removed link

On 10/4/2022 at 4:05 AM, demezz2 said:

i came across this thread which is asking the same question, however, id like to know what people here think, it’s really deterring me from trying dutasteride at all, i would suspect it’s just a shed etc but ive heard of a lot of people like a year after using dut that it never got better. what do u think?

I've been on Dutasteride from the beginning. Skipped right over Finasteride altogether and for over 1 year now. I personally think i saw regrowth in some areas and it helped me halt my loss in a noticeable way. I'm now maybe almost 18 months on it. 

I made a thread detailing my journey on it but imo, there's no way that if Finasteride was working for you, that Dutasteride will somehow ruin everything. Its a stronger and more effective version of Finasteride imo. If you had hair loss and it isn't coming back, something else is at play. 

I mean how?

By blocking all isoenzymes of 5 ar? While finasteride doesn’t by blocking just one type predominantly.

The theory is dut increases T and that causes hairloss but fin doesn’t increase T. There are literally people born with genetic defect of 5 ar deficiency that don’t bald and have NW0 hairlines. Those people T levels are high.

People in their home who I doubt even taken science as a subject in school know more about hairloss than researchers who did actual experiments. The world is a fascinating place

From cursory forum reading, I think a lot of the "DUT ruined my hairline" experiences are people not understanding how badly these meds can give you a shed. 

Some doc's advise that it can take up to two years to see the effect of FIN/DUT, and prior to this, they can really thin you out whilst your hair cycles through phases.

I've seen people claim it's ruined their hair before they give it a chance. Which is why it's important to talk to a Dr/dermatologist, so we can get a realistic perspective on what it to come.

I can't see any credible reason as to how DUT can ruin a hairline.

6 minutes ago, HelpfulFriend said:

From cursory forum reading, I think a lot of the "DUT ruined my hairline" experiences are people not understanding how badly these meds can give you a shed. 

Some doc's advise that it can take up to two years to see the effect of FIN/DUT, and prior to this, they can really thin you out whilst your hair cycles through phases.

I've seen people claim it's ruined their hair before they give it a chance. Which is why it's important to talk to a Dr/dermatologist, so we can get a realistic perspective on what it to come.

I can't see any credible reason as to how DUT can ruin a hairline.

I think part of it is definitely that people don't understand the hair cycle phases and the way that DHT inhibition via Dutasteride etc. is over a much longer term when it works too. 

That's why it's important imo for people to see studies like the 10 year Japanese Finasteride study to see how much difference it can make on the responders. It just takes years of consistent use though

4 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I think part of it is definitely that people don't understand the hair cycle phases and the way that DHT inhibition via Dutasteride etc. is over a much longer term when it works too. 

That's why it's important imo for people to see studies like the 10 year Japanese Finasteride study to see how much difference it can make on the responders. It just takes years of consistent use though

Exactly. You need to break through the rough patch, and whilst it may not halt your loss, it will slow it considerably in almost all cases. 

I've been in FIN for about 6 years, loss has slowed considerably. Might switch to DUT in the future just to see if I can absolutely halt it.

I’ve seen no evidence to suggest that dutasteride will negatively affect one’s hairline when taking it.  What exactly did people report which led to this question?  Do you have links to these topics or experiences?

Like finasteride, dutasteride is simply an anti-androgen that blocks both type I and type II 5-alpha-reductase enzymes, preventing the production of even more DHT than finasteride which only blocks type II 5-alpha-reductase enzymes.  While finasteride is only proven to work on the crown, evidence from actual consumers suggest that it can help thicken thinning hair in the hairline as well. The same goes for dutasteride. 

Now it’s well reported that both of these medications are accompanied by an initial hair shedding period which is considered a sign that the medication is working.  Hair goes through natural growth cycles which includes shedding (catagen), resting (telogen) and regrowth (anagen).  These medications initially speed up the growth cycle which is why miniaturizing hairs are forced into catagen.   But continued use of the medication will cause these hairs to grow back thicker and fuller - essentially transforming hairs from vellus (miniaturizing) to terminal (healthy and mature).

It also takes up to a year for the medication to be in full effect and evaluating its efficacy should only occur after 1 year of consistent use.  

Long story short, there’s no evidence that I’m aware of that either of these anti-androgens can or will “destroy” one’s hairline.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.