Haircut after HT

I haven’t cut my hair yet… but I’m thinking of doing my first cut soon. I’m around the 3 month mark but I have curly hair so I could probably straighten out my hair to mask some of the emptier spots. Like spray some water and comb it down so it bundles together. 

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

Harry,

You can technically get a haircut immediately after surgery as long as you don’t touch the grafted area.  For example, the next day after my third FUT/strip surgery, I shaved my entire head although the recipient area was already shaved so I didn’t have to touch the grafted area.

That said, it’s probably safer to wait at least a week to 10 days to get a professional haircut. I took care of cutting my own hair with clippers and was very careful near the stapled area. With FUE today, it’s a lot easier to cut or shave the hair on the side and back of the scalp.  If you’ve undergone FUT/strip, it’s probably better to wait until the sutures/staples are out before getting your first haircut.

I hope this helps

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

11 hours ago, Z-- said:

Around month 2. Scissors used for recipient (although my doctor confirmed its fine to shave using a low guard). Donor I shaved around 1 month.

After 2 months you got a regular haircut (i.e with a machine on your recipient) or with a scissors only?

4 hours ago, Harry2 said:

After 2 months you got a regular haircut (i.e with a machine on your recipient) or with a scissors only?

Bit of both. Mostly scissors but it's hard to delineate exactly where the recipient and donor is, so a bit of my recipient had machine. I panicked and checked with my doctor, who confirmed that low guard wouldn't pose any issues.

21 minutes ago, Z-- said:

Bit of both. Mostly scissors but it's hard to delineate exactly where the recipient and donor is, so a bit of my recipient had machine. I panicked and checked with my doctor, who confirmed that low guard wouldn't pose any issues.

And the next haircut was the same (machine + scissors)? 

When you did take your second haircut? 

14 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

And the next haircut was the same (machine + scissors)? 

When you did take your second haircut? 

So I haven't cut my hair since, though i'm very overdue lol. I think I only really need scissors for the top because I'm nearly 3 months in and I'm not going to shave down given that I got FUT.

• Like 1