Oral Minoxidil and heart rate

HairTrippin

Been taking 2.5 Mg OM for about 5 days and been monitoring my blood pressure and heart rate. My resting heart rate has risen, is this common especially for the first days and should subside. I used to be around 65-80, now I’m around 75-102 while resting. 

Edited by HairTrippin

• Administrators

I've been taking 2.5 mg of Oral Minoxidil daily, went to the doctors last week my resting heart rate was 65 and my BP was 120/70. 75-102 is still within the normal range. Your heart rate can fluctuate for various reasons, including anxiety. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I've been taking 2.5 mg of Oral Minoxidil daily, went to the doctors last week my resting heart rate was 65 and my BP was 120/70. 75-102 is still within the normal range. Your heart rate can fluctuate for various reasons, including anxiety. 

Thanks for the response Melvin. Just a bit worried because before OM I was checking numbers to compare and I rarely hit 90 or more while resting. I think my body needs time to adjust to it. 

Could be over monitoring and anxious about using OM because of all the stuff I’ve read from Reddit

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HairTrippin said:

Been taking 2.5 Mg OM for about 5 days and been monitoring my blood pressure and heart rate. My resting heart rate has risen, is this common especially for the first days and should subside. I used to be around 65-80, now I’m around 75-102 while resting. 

Everyone reacts differently. Topical gave me chest tightness for a couple hours after applying it ( I used it once a day), 

I don’t want to freak you out but this is a known side effect of minoxidil where it increases the resting heart rate by a few points. 

You should monitor your heart rate, perhaps get the heart rate monitoring machine and take readings when you’re completely chill, when it’s about time to take the drug ( ie during trough concentration time of the drug when the drug is lowest level in blood ) and 2 hours after taking the drug. 

It should be OK to see min increase or decrease the heart rate immediately after dosing but the sustained increase or decrease is going to be an issue. Talk to a doctor perhaps. 

I would value heart over hairs, if you get troublesome reading consistently, maybe you’re like me and can’t tolerate it. 

5 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

Everyone reacts differently. Topical gave me chest tightness for a couple hours after applying it ( I used it once a day), 

I don’t want to freak you out but this is a known side effect of minoxidil where it increases the resting heart rate by a few points. 

You should monitor your heart rate, perhaps get the heart rate monitoring machine and take readings when you’re completely chill, when it’s about time to take the drug ( ie during trough concentration time of the drug when the drug is lowest level in blood ) and 2 hours after taking the drug. 

It should be OK to see min increase or decrease the heart rate immediately after dosing but the sustained increase or decrease is going to be an issue. Talk to a doctor perhaps. 

I would value heart over hairs, if you get troublesome reading consistently, maybe you’re like me and can’t tolerate it. 

Yeah it was for sure around 16 hours after I took it and had my resting heart rate increase. I don’t know if it was because I just had ate a lot of food with sodium, or what. But I’m gonna keep monitoring it. I will say when I did cardio my heart rate was at the usual, so I don’t know. So many things change your heart rate, it’s hard to tell.

Do you know how long it takes to get it out of your system? I know 4 hours is the half life. 

Edited by HairTrippin

1 hour ago, HairTrippin said:

Yeah it was for sure around 16 hours after I took it and had my resting heart rate increase. I don’t know if it was because I just had ate a lot of food with sodium, or what. But I’m gonna keep monitoring it. I will say when I did cardio my heart rate was at the usual, so I don’t know. So many things change your heart rate, it’s hard to tell.

Do you know how long it takes to get it out of your system? I know 4 hours is the half life. 

It takes roughly 5.5 half lives for a drug concentrations to be so negligible it’s basically out of your system. So 4*5.5 = 22 hours. Pretty much in a day.

This is for blood. I don’t know if the drug accumulates in tissues, if it does then it will take a few days but you won’t be able to considerably notice the effects.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, HairTrippin said:

Thanks for the response Melvin. Just a bit worried because before OM I was checking numbers to compare and I rarely hit 90 or more while resting. I think my body needs time to adjust to it. 

Could be over monitoring and anxious about using OM because of all the stuff I’ve read from Reddit

If you’re anxious about taking it, your heart rate will automatically go up. Correlation doesn’t equal causation. If you were experiencing sides, you’d know it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You should consult your doctor for better evaluation.

In general, Just make sure to check your blood pressure, it’s a small dose but basically it can lower blood pressure and that can lead to increase in heart rate a reflex (aka reflex Tachycardia).