When is it safe to fly after FUE?

Okay, I know this might sound a little silly as people probably fly all the time after getting a hair transplant, but how many days post-transplant should I wait before flying? I’m concerned that the air pressure could somehow damage the grafts / cause more inflammation if it’s too soon after surgery.

I’ve read a few contrasting opinions on this online so would be good to get further input from you guys.

It will be a 2 hour flight approx if that makes any difference.

d+1 is fine, although i wouldn't say so for the same day you have your op.

i suggest minimum 3 days, since the first 3 is when they're settling down, and it'd be harder to dislodge them.
7 if you want to be safe.

Many people fly the day after so I highly, highly doubt there is any issue. If there was a reputable surgeon wouldn't allow it or advise against it. The biggest risk is that you bump your head somewhere. For example getting in/out of the taxi or someone dropping his/her bag on your head when opening the overhead compartment etc.

If you’re worried strong wind will come and fly away with your hairs, rest assured there’s no danger of that.

The answer to this is the sooner you feel comfortable. Some people don’t care walking around with a bloody head/bandages on their head and they leave soon after post op, others stay for a week or more. 

The hairs are pushed in deep into the skin so the only way they come off is by washing or touching. Wind/walking around poses no danger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

If you’re worried strong wind will come and fly away with your hairs, rest assured there’s no danger of that.

The answer to this is the sooner you feel comfortable. Some people don’t care walking around with a bloody head/bandages on their head and they leave soon after post op, others stay for a week or more. 

The hairs are pushed in deep into the skin so the only way they come off is by washing or touching. Wind/walking around poses no danger.

I’d be slightly concerned if there were large gusts of wind coming from inside the plane! Haha.

The concern I had is more around the actual air pressure that occurs when flying, I read online that it can drastically increase swelling and I was wondering what effect that could have on the grafts (if any). Maybe I’d feel comfortable flying 5 days or so after the surgery but I’ll see.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HortonC said:

Many people fly the day after so I highly, highly doubt there is any issue. If there was a reputable surgeon wouldn't allow it or advise against it. The biggest risk is that you bump your head somewhere. For example getting in/out of the taxi or someone dropping his/her bag on your head when opening the overhead compartment etc.

Okay thanks, I’ll just ask the clinic to make sure.

4 hours ago, mafpe said:

d+1 is fine, although i wouldn't say so for the same day you have your op.

i suggest minimum 3 days, since the first 3 is when they're settling down, and it'd be harder to dislodge them.
7 if you want to be safe.

Okay thanks, I’ll have a think about it. 3 days seems reasonable but I guess that’s when the swelling will potentially get quite bad, I may just stay put until day 7 post op as hopefully things would’ve calmed down by then?

@CurlymixedUK

Technically, it is safe to fly the same day or the next day after hair transplant surgery especially FUE is less invasive than  FUT/strip.   That said, your surgeon/clinic may suggest you stay a little longer so you can come in for a follow up but most patients stay overnight after their procedure and go home the next day. 

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I wanted to wait about 3 days post-op i believe at least. Overall i would recommend a day or two and when flying or getting into any type of vehicle, take extreme care. I was a bit off balance myself after Day 1 and i think that affected me because getting into the car i misjudged it and hit my head. 100% lost at least 1 multi graft if not more unfortunately but definitely one. 

It hurts thinking back on it but i figure in the grand scheme of things, that was the only incident in terms of hitting my head BUT i think the first 7 days and trying to sleep upright are the toughest. I woke up with a neck pillow sideways and i was out of the position i put myself in to sleep. 

So overall, i don't think travelling in the plane due to air pressure is the issue, you got far bigger problems to worry about with the overhead baggage compartments, other people and even the toilets. I tried my best to also use saline spray during the flight but i do think at some point i ended up asleep. Overall, just try your best to be careful and know, international travel is the tougher cookie. If you can, stay a week for peace of mind. 

On 9/27/2022 at 12:26 AM, NARMAK said:

I wanted to wait about 3 days post-op i believe at least. Overall i would recommend a day or two and when flying or getting into any type of vehicle, take extreme care. I was a bit off balance myself after Day 1 and i think that affected me because getting into the car i misjudged it and hit my head. 100% lost at least 1 multi graft if not more unfortunately but definitely one. 

It hurts thinking back on it but i figure in the grand scheme of things, that was the only incident in terms of hitting my head BUT i think the first 7 days and trying to sleep upright are the toughest. I woke up with a neck pillow sideways and i was out of the position i put myself in to sleep. 

So overall, i don't think travelling in the plane due to air pressure is the issue, you got far bigger problems to worry about with the overhead baggage compartments, other people and even the toilets. I tried my best to also use saline spray during the flight but i do think at some point i ended up asleep. Overall, just try your best to be careful and know, international travel is the tougher cookie. If you can, stay a week for peace of mind. 

Hey man, thanks for your response. Makes total sense what you’re saying. My flight would only be about 2 hours but it still makes me a bit nervous because I have no idea how I’ll feel after the surgery (think mine will be 3 days). To be honest, maybe I’ll just book an air bnb for 10 days or something, it’ll be more expensive but maybe worth staying put until the grafts are 100% fixed to my head 😅