Fee Transaction for HT

DavidH

Hello, I have an HT booked in for October in Istanbul. The clinic has advised that they would prefer cash or if I pay with a card there will be an additional fee applied. This is all very normal I understand. Before I make the decision whether to take cash or use my card, can anyone share their experiences of paying for their surgery? The cost of a HT (less a nominal deposit) is a substantial amount to take through customs and I’m apprehensive about doing so. But an additional percentage is lot on top of the HT cost. Comments of experiences welcome?

Not sure where you are travelling from but for the UK you can take any amount but you have to declare more than 10k pounds in cash. I would just say be careful travelling with a lot of money in terms of security. I used to live overseas and would take the limit with me regularly to facilitate that but never left the money in a check-in bag and always kept it on me with no problems. If you can check how much the clinic will charge more on a card. We do not ourselves charge more and most pay on card traditionally. 

You may also be able to pay by a bank transfer as an option so worth asking if they charge the same as cash for that. I would guess there should not be an issue and if so pay most that way before going and a balance in cash for at most a few k for any graft fluctuation, so you have got most paid and carry a far lighter amount. 

You will have a lot on your mind with surgery and possibly a new country and language and if you can avoid risks that can be reduced in other ways.

All the best!

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

12 hours ago, sl said:

Not sure where you are travelling from but for the UK you can take any amount but you have to declare more than 10k pounds in cash. I would just say be careful travelling with a lot of money in terms of security. I used to live overseas and would take the limit with me regularly to facilitate that but never left the money in a check-in bag and always kept it on me with no problems. If you can check how much the clinic will charge more on a card. We do not ourselves charge more and most pay on card traditionally. 

You may also be able to pay by a bank transfer as an option so worth asking if they charge the same as cash for that. I would guess there should not be an issue and if so pay most that way before going and a balance in cash for at most a few k for any graft fluctuation, so you have got most paid and carry a far lighter amount. 

You will have a lot on your mind with surgery and possibly a new country and language and if you can avoid risks that can be reduced in other ways.

All the best!

Thank you, I am travelling from the UK and I definitely won’t be taking anywhere near 10K. I’ve asked the clinic again regarding card payment and they charge an additional 18% which is a substantial uplift. My query about a bank transfer was side stepped but I’ve asked again. I don’t fully understand why they do not accept say a debit card or bank transfer because as a business they must surely pay tax anyway.

Thanks again for your response.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buck Naked said:

I recommend paying with a credit card. You never know if they mess up or scam you. You can open a dispute through your credit card. Better to be safe than sorry, especially in Turkey. 

I’d agree generally but an additional 18% is not an insignificant amount of money on several thousands of pounds. Still to decide what to do. Thank you for your response.