Age 35

jr1986

Seems its often talked about as an age when people might consider a ht without meds, or that balding slows down after 35. Or that if your balding after 35 it's not aggressive. 

I've read posts and blogs by hair surgeons stating that after 35 rapid balding is unusual. But is there any truth in this? 

I mean I'm heading for 37 with most of my hair but I do have thinning, surely there's nothing stopping me going to nw 5, 6 or even 7 at a rapid pace.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jr1986 said:

Seems its often talked about as an age when people might consider a ht without meds, or that balding slows down after 35. Or that if your balding after 35 it's not aggressive. 

I've read posts and blogs by hair surgeons stating that after 35 rapid balding is unusual. But is there any truth in this? 

I mean I'm heading for 37 with most of my hair but I do have thinning, surely there's nothing stopping me going to nw 5, 6 or even 7 at a rapid pace.

Thoughts?

would love to know an answer to this as im around the same age, but i honestly think there is no definitive answer to this, unfortunately

• Administrators

Hair loss is progressive, 35 isn’t old by any means. You have decades left for hair loss to progress. It’s definitely not a safe age to get an HT without meds. If you have most of your hair by 50+ chances are it’s not gonna be aggressive, but I’ve seen many lose all their hair from 35-50. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Hair loss is progressive, 35 isn’t old by any means. You have decades left for hair loss to progress. It’s definitely not a safe age to get an HT without meds. If you have most of your hair by 50+ chances are it’s not gonna be aggressive, but I’ve seen many lose all their hair from 35-50. 

^

And unless you're already a nw7 then i could understand the avoidance of meds. But most of the time they can help thicken up your existing hairs and potentially bring back some miniaturized hairs.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

Thanks. I guess if you were nw5 at 30, and still nw5 at 35 then you might conclude you have reached your final nw and might consider a transplant without meds. 

But if you are receeding to nw3 with vertex thinning at 35 then you may have a long way to go.

2 minutes ago, jr1986 said:

Thanks. I guess if you were nw5 at 30, and still nw5 at 35 then you might conclude you have reached your final nw and might consider a transplant without meds. 

But if you are receeding to nw3 with vertex thinning at 35 then you may have a long way to go.

Not necessarily... It really depends and is case by case. Theres no real science behind it other than how sensitive your hair follicles become to DHT and it really changes over time. Theres no real way of knowing when it turns on/off, you just have to do everything you can to prevent it for as long as possible.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

According to what I’ve read, at 35 you should have a general idea where you hair loss is progressing. Of course, there will be exceptions. However, if you’re thinning in an area, even at 35, to me that’s a sign that the hairs are already affected and will continue to miniaturize.