2 Months 5 days

Noticed some new hairs sprouting in, also some of the old ones never dropped and kept growing around 10% never fell out, but also I have some very short hairs then never dropped and dont seem to be growing, are they just sleeping? Why didn't they fall out if they arent going to grow straight away, abit confusing

@Testaccount9900aka @Chickennuggets95,

I can only assume by your questions that you had a hair transplant?  When was the date of your procedure?   Without knowing this it’s difficult to give you any specific information about what you might be experiencing. Based on what you’re saying however, I’m guessing you’re about 3 months out from surgery.

Generally speaking, most if not all transplanted hair will shed and fall out between 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.  Meanwhile the hair follicles are perfectly safe under earth the surface of the scalp.   Some hairs will keep growing and never shed and others may sit and stay dormant until they start growing between 3 to 5 months post-op.   In some cases, transplanted hair that doesn’t grow and doesn’t shed could be a sign that they were damaged and/or won’t grow.  But that’s rare especially if you’ve selected a reputable surgeon.

But assuming you’re only a couple months out from surgery I wouldn’t worry or over scrutinize at this point.  It’s far too early to evaluate anything although I certainly understand the concerns since just about everybody experiences this. 

I suggest posting some photos of your scalp and hair before surgery, immediately after surgery and how it looks now if you want specific feedback in your case.  I also suggest providing us with the date if your procedure and any surgical details such as any grafts you received, etc.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 minute ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Testaccount9900aka @Chickennuggets95,

I can only assume by your questions that you had a hair transplant?  When was the date of your procedure?   Without knowing this it’s difficult to give you any specific information about what you might be experiencing. Based on what you’re saying however, I’m guessing you’re about 3 months out from surgery.

Generally speaking, most if not all transplanted hair will shed and fall out between 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.  Meanwhile the hair follicles are perfectly safe under earth the surface of the scalp.   Some hairs will keep growing and never shed and others may sit and stay dormant until they start growing between 3 to 5 months post-op.   In some cases, transplanted hair that doesn’t grow and doesn’t shed could be a sign that they were damaged and/or won’t grow.  But that’s rare especially if you’ve selected a reputable surgeon.

But assuming you’re only a couple months out from surgery I wouldn’t worry or over scrutinize at this point.  It’s far too early to evaluate anything although I certainly understand the concerns since just about everybody experiences this. 

I suggest posting some photos of your scalp and hair before surgery, immediately after surgery and how it looks now if you want specific feedback in your case.  I also suggest providing us with the date if your procedure and any surgical details such as any grafts you received, etc.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

I’m at roughly 70 days from the operation, a majority of the hairs had shed but I was just mainly wondering if it’s normal for some to not shed, but also they don’t grow instantly, do they just maintain their length till they “activate”?

Also I had 2300 grafts, the whole experience has been mildly stressful from shedding to the ugly duckling phase as I have a little bit of shock loss I look worse now then I did prior to the surgery but I have been told that it’s normal and to just forget I had a hair transplant till the next 5 months as it takes a lot of time for the shocked hair to recover and for the transplanted hair to recovery. I use oral minoxidil but as told to also add topical to aid blow flow to the areas I have shock loss 

@Chickennuggets95,

I just realize that the topic title expresses how far along you are so I apologize for missing that. That said, the fact that you’re seeing any growth at 70 days postop is impressive. Many of the dormant hairs may actually begin to grow between 3 to 5 months. If most of them have shed and there’s only a few that remain stagnant, everything should be fine.  Some of them may grow when the time comes and it’s possible that some might not grow because while even the best surgeons have high growth rates, it’s not usually 100%. It might be in the 95 to 99% range.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

5 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Chickennuggets95,

I just realize that the topic title expresses how far along you are so I apologize for missing that. That said, the fact that you’re seeing any growth at 70 days postop is impressive. Many of the dormant hairs may actually begin to grow between 3 to 5 months. If most of them have shed and there’s only a few that remain stagnant, everything should be fine.  Some of them may grow when the time comes and it’s possible that some might not grow because while even the best surgeons have high growth rates, it’s not usually 100%. It might be in the 95 to 99% range.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Ah so it’s normal to have some hairs stick around but not instantly grow right? It doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t grow? I mean I know the yield for HTs isn’t 100% but is it safe to assume it’s normal to have some small lengthened hairs not fall out during the shed?