Considering an FUE procedure

Hi guys,

First I wanted to say thank you to all the contributors on this site. It's very reassuring to have a support system out there and to read about the various experiences that other people have had in battling MPB.

I've been researching a lot about FUE on this site and have been impressed with the procedure. So much so that I am considering an FUE procedure myself. I have met with a coalition doctor who estimated about 1500-1800 FU for my hairline. The only thing that I'm worried about is the high spoilage rate of the donors. The estimate that I received from the clinic was about 10-20%. Is this common for FUE?

I've also attached a pic of where I plan to have the new hairline. Your opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by spile

spile,

Welcome to our community.

FUE may be an option for you (depending on your age) however, take your time and research both FUT and FUE and learn about the advantages and disadvantages of both procedures.

FUE is still considered by most surgeons to be less consistent than FUE. While some patients may get 95% or more yield, some may experience a lot less. Follicles extracted via FUE go through a lot more trauma than follicles cut under microscopic dissection. Those with extremely fragile follicles will want to avoid FUE.

Best wishes,

Bill

I think age and an assessment of your donor and your likely/potential balding pattern would dictate whether I'd do FUE in your shoes.

Honestly, in all liklihood, I probably tend towards a top-notch strip session where you can get the perfect number of grafts and the perfect yield and not have FUE infringe upon eithr of those things.

Other than cases where age, type of loss, rate of loss are in great sync, I think FUE's benefit can often be negated by needing so many future operations, and/or you ending up getting strip anyways at some point.

I really think FUE can be great if you really want to and/or would be very comfortable buzzing down your head.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I first started losing in my early 20's, the got onto propecia. Used it for a year then switched to 1/4 proscar to reduce costs like most guys. I had a little sides but tolerable. I started having bad sides after 4 yrs, then I cut back dosage and frequency a little at a time, until finally I was on 1/8 every other day. Still didn't help with the sides so I gave it up cold turkey over a year ago. I'm 31 now.

So I guess I've been thinking about having the procedure for some time. I figure, since it's for the hairline, can't really go wrong since it frames your face right? In all honesty, I am a bit scared of strip though, which is why getting an HT looked more appealing to me when I discovered FUE. I think I trust the doctor that I met with, and he is using the Feller punch which I did read up on from Feller's posts about a new type of tool which reduces the likelihood of damage. But I'd like to get some stats from doctors who perform FUE regularly, if possible, to see what kind of spoilage rate we can expect to see with this procedure. Thanks again.

I personally would go for strip. At 31, you'll probably lose more hair, whether you continue finasteride or not, although taking it will help.

Do you have a family history of advanced hairloss? If so, I would go for a strip session and subsequent strip sessions in the future as your hairloss progresses, use up your laxity, then go for FUE. You'll get more grafts this way.

Going for FUE first will reduce your donor density, making strip sessions in the future less productive. You have to think for the long term. Best of luck.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here: