Finasteride Side Effect

Bharath

Dear All, 

I have started to take Finasteride since last 25 days. Off late i have been sensing pain in one of my testicles and it is on and off. Secondly i have noticed some tenderness in my chest and it feels a bit more loose and saggy. Kindly advise on whether i should be continuing the drug or not. I also recently had my hair transplant. Will the above side effects disappear if i stop taking the medicine.

Will Topical finasteride work ? Does it make sense in any manner.

Regards

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

It makes total sense and what you have described are potential side effects of finasteride. I would recommend that you speak with your doctor (or better still your dermatologist) and the surgeon who performed your surgery. These sides (especially the ball ache) can pass. The tenderness of the pecs 'potentially' could lead to gynomastica and you may want to just cease the drug. Again I'm not a doctor and can only give my opinion which is why I suggest speaking to those mentioned above. All the best!

• Sad 1

• Valued Contributor

To date Xylon Health's topical finasteride has the lowest incidence in clinical trials for side effects. Minoxidil does not have a history of sexual side effects at all (as far as I know and I've been following the drug since it was released here in Australia in 1986). I suggest you discuss all of these options with your dermatologist. Don't panic and don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bharath said:

Dear All, 

I have started to take Finasteride since last 25 days. Off late i have been sensing pain in one of my testicles and it is on and off. Secondly i have noticed some tenderness in my chest and it feels a bit more loose and saggy. Kindly advise on whether i should be continuing the drug or not. I also recently had my hair transplant. Will the above side effects disappear if i stop taking the medicine.

Regards

Hi, what dosage and how often do you take it?

1 minute ago, Bharath said:

1 MG a day every night since last 25 days.

Ok, thanks for letting us know. I guess you are one of the unlucky ones who can't take it.  However you can always stop it for a month to flush out and start off with a new routine like Mon-Wed-Friday @1 MG per time to see how that goes? but i'm not going to tell you what to do because I haven't experience your side affects to know how you feel.

I hope you will find an alternative solution because medication is incredibly important

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 1:52 AM, Bharath said:

Dear All, 

Regards

What is your age and body fat % ?

Do you have any hormonal panel blood work ?

Pain in testis is a common side effect, I had it a lot, on and off, it's due to production shut down due to an decrease of LH as a consequence of increased E2 due to Free T being blocked and not reduced to DHT.

The only natural way of balancing this is keeping your body fat as low as possible (ideally below 12%) to reduce aromatization which occurs mainly on fat and visceral fat so that your LH levels go up and E2 down as well as reducing your dose. The best tolerate dosage in practice I have seen is 0.25mg EOD orally or 1ML 0.025% Topically.

In order for side effects to go away you need to stop for 2 months to clear the half life of the drug itself and the metabolites which linger longer.

You can use this time to reduce body fat and try again at the suggested dosage.

It worked for a few friends and they are now able to tolerate it. It did not work that well for me but it definitely helped. I ended up switching to Topical Dutasteride for 2 years and now considering CB0301 as my only treatment since I have most of my hair transplanted anyways.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 9:09 PM, mustang said:

What is your age and body fat % ?

Do you have any hormonal panel blood work ?

Pain in testis is a common side effect, I had it a lot, on and off, it's due to production shut down due to an decrease of LH as a consequence of increased E2 due to Free T being blocked and not reduced to DHT.

The only natural way of balancing this is keeping your body fat as low as possible (ideally below 12%) to reduce aromatization which occurs mainly on fat and visceral fat so that your LH levels go up and E2 down as well as reducing your dose. The best tolerate dosage in practice I have seen is 0.25mg EOD orally or 1ML 0.025% Topically.

In order for side effects to go away you need to stop for 2 months to clear the half life of the drug itself and the metabolites which linger longer.

You can use this time to reduce body fat and try again at the suggested dosage.

It worked for a few friends and they are now able to tolerate it. It did not work that well for me but it definitely helped. I ended up switching to Topical Dutasteride for 2 years and now considering CB0301 as my only treatment since I have most of my hair transplanted anyways.

Thanks mate for such a detailed reply. I didnt check my Body fat % but my cholesterol level is well under 140. I will get the Bod fat % checked. Also as it has been just 1 month after my hair transplant, i actually wish to use the medication for at least 6 months and then take  a break. But i am at the same time worried about the side effects in the sense, incapability to reproduce ( Lack of quality semen), body weight increase on account of changes in hormones.  I have started my physical activities and will continue to do it upto a point where i can sense myself evenly placed in terms of Body fat. 

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Fingers crosses.

On 9/11/2022 at 3:32 PM, Ryan Daniel said:

Ok, thanks for letting us know. I guess you are one of the unlucky ones who can't take it.  However you can always stop it for a month to flush out and start off with a new routine like Mon-Wed-Friday @1 MG per time to see how that goes? but i'm not going to tell you what to do because I haven't experience your side affects to know how you feel.

I hope you will find an alternative solution because medication is incredibly important

Yeah i do understand the importance of the medicine. That's why i am continuing it. Hopefully my body adjusts to it over a period of 2 to 3 months. I am more worried on the side effects this medicine produces in terms of the biological functions. I am yet to have a baby and that keeps me quite perplexed and worried sometimes. 

• Like 1