How many grafts can FUT save realitically?

I am wondering how many grafts can FUT + FUE let us harvest if we start with one or two FUT procedures first? Would it be something in range 2000-3000, less or more? I am really considering FUT since I don't live far from surgeon that specializes in FUT (Dr Saifi). Scar doesn't really matter to me since I always have my back and sides on number two or more. I am 24 and destined to be nw6/7 in the future. 

Yes, probably 2000-3000 more grafts can be gotten if you combine the two and generally that seems to mean starting with strip.  Don't worry about Bloxham and Fellers take on it on top of that initial point.  They're correct in some instances, but some surgeons are skilled enough at FUE to get comparable graft survival rates to those achieved by FUT.  Bottom line, yes, you maximize lifetime grafts combining FUT and FUE.  Period.

Edited by John1991
  • Like 1

2 - 3k is considered the additional grafts by proponents of this, but it depends person to person. Some doctors claim that is no longer the case and FUT = FUE

Gatsby is correct, though, that picking the correct surgeon is more crucial than method. You're better off with a top FUE surgeon with 90%+ growth than wasting precious grafts with a lousy FUT surgeon. 

Still, there are some elite FUT doctors out there -- take a look at Konior, Hattengen, H&W (on rare occasion), and Shapiro namely. You really can't afford to go wrong with FUT because if that scar is wide or not handled with care, it'll deplete you out and look very noticeable. Best to go for the best if you're opting for FUT to be safe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SoSoz said:

I am wondering how many grafts can FUT + FUE let us harvest if we start with one or two FUT procedures first? Would it be something in range 2000-3000, less or more? I am really considering FUT since I don't live far from surgeon that specializes in FUT (Dr Saifi). Scar doesn't really matter to me since I always have my back and sides on number two or more. I am 24 and destined to be nw6/7 in the future. 

Im only back from having 3rd procedure with dr saifi 1st one FUT 2800 grafts 2nd procedure 1000 grafts FUE 3rd procedure 1400 grafts FUE

4 minutes ago, Deanoo78 said:

Im only back from having 3rd procedure with dr saifi 1st one FUT 2800 grafts 2nd procedure 1000 grafts FUE 3rd procedure 1400 grafts FUE

How are your results looking? Did the Dr say you have any more grafts left?

2 minutes ago, SoSoz said:

2 minutes ago, SoSoz said:

Compared to where i started 5 years ago the results are great will need to wait a few month to see results of my latest procedure but im sure it will be good dr rekons i have enough grafts for another round but rekons i shouldnt need it.

SoSoz,

FUT & FUE when used in conjunction with one another can be one of the most effective methods at obtaining the greatest number of follicular units for transplanting over one’s lifetime. The concepts involves starting with FUT and taking as many grafts for transplanting as possible until you are “stripped out“. Once you’ve undergone as many FUT procedures as possible, then you undergo FUE as many times as you can to obtain the maximum number of grafts without damaging the donor area or showing signs of scarring.

Conceptually, one can obtain more grafts for transplanting by combining these two procedures the way I referenced above than either one by itself.

As for FUT as a donor harvesting method being superior to FUE, I don’t agree. I could have stood by this belief several years ago but many surgeons such as Dr. Rahal have substantially improved the FUE technique and can produce results on par if not even better than FUT with transaction rates that rival FUT.

Some surgeons may continue to disagree with this but each clinic can only provide opinions based on what they produce at their clinic or what they see overall if the data presents itself. At our clinic for example, each FUE graft is analyzed under microscopes prior to implantation which is something that most surgeons/clinics don’t do. Therefore, we have proof that transection rates can be as low with FUE as with FUT and that growth rates are just as comparable.

Now, FUE Is a very specialized field and it’s difficult to produce outstanding results consistently if you are performing more FUT and only the occasional FUE procedure. But if you converted from performing both procedures to only FUE and have mastered the technique,  then the data at that surgeons’ clinic will likely be far different than clinics/surgeons that only perform the occasional FUE procedure.

It’s pretty common knowledge that when selecting a hair transplant surgeon that it’s far better to select a surgeon that exclusively performs hair transplant surgery rather than one who performs multiple cosmetic procedures with only the occasional hair transplant thrown in.   The same should be applied to FUE vs FUT.  

Mastering FUE takes a lot of time and dedication and a clinic really needs to devote all of their time and attention to that technique to master it. Doing the occasional FUE or even one that does a good amount of FUE but mostly FUT may not produce the kind of results you want just as going to a surgeon who performs multiple cosmetic procedures and only some hair transplant surgery won’t.

So I hope all of the information helps you in your research.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

If you run the math, you will get more with FUT.  It depends on the area removed via strip.  Say your total strip procedures add up to 25 cm2.  Most ethical doctors will leave you with at least 50 fu / cm2 if you do FUE, as to not look moth eaten.  If you instead did FUT, you get an extra 50* 25, so 1250.  Keep in mind, that you will have a small (usually 2-3mm scar with no hair), again assuming you go to a good doctor.

Now that oversimplifies a lot of things. You can have more area removed, your FUE surgeon might take more from less safe areas ect ect.  But this should give you the general idea of where grafts are "saved".  You are basically doing a scalp reduction and increasing total density at the same time with FUT.  With FUE, your scalp remains the same size, you just move the hairs around.

Edited by MisterBreakfast

27 minutes ago, MisterBreakfast said:

If you run the math, you will get more with FUT.  It depends on the area removed via strip.  Say your total strip procedures add up to 25 cm2.  Most ethical doctors will leave you with at least 50 fu / cm2 if you do FUE, as to not look moth eaten.  If you instead did FUT, you get an extra 50* 25, so 1250.  Keep in mind, that you will have a small (usually 2-3mm scar with no hair), again assuming you go to a good doctor.

Now that oversimplifies a lot of things. You can have more area removed, your FUE surgeon might take more from less safe areas ect ect.  But this should give you the general idea of where grafts are "saved".  You are basically doing a scalp reduction and increasing total density at the same time with FUT.  With FUE, your scalp remains the same size, you just move the hairs around.

So 1200 extra grafts give or take? So if the average donor capacity before overharvest for a normal male is about 7k grafts then this would give you 8.5k give or take by doing fut first?

5 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

So 1200 extra grafts give or take? So if the average donor capacity before overharvest for a normal male is about 7k grafts then this would give you 8.5k give or take by doing fut first?

Well, hard to say, you need to plug in your numbers.  I picked 25 cm^2 as an average, and 50 fu remaining for FUE as an average.  You need to get your own stats measured and then consider it that way.  (Also, I feel like "total grafts" is subjective.  I've seen people with 6k fue grafts look completely ravaged.  Others, not so much.  I've seen people who look completely depleted who are completely happy with their results.  I will note, 7k seems like you'd have to have an extraordinary donor, but those are just my 2 cents).

Obviously speak to your doctor for good advice.  

• Like 1

Just now, MisterBreakfast said:

Well, hard to say, you need to plug in your numbers.  I picked 25 cm^2 as an average, and 50 fu remaining for FUE as an average.  You need to get your own stats measured and then consider it that way.  (Also, I feel like "total grafts" is subjective.  I've seen people with 6k fue grafts look completely ravaged.  Others, not so much.  I've seen people who look completely depleted who are completely happy with their results.  I will note, 7k seems like you'd have to have an extraordinary donor, but those are just my 2 cents).

Obviously speak to your doctor for good advice.  

Very much agree 7k is high I was going off the average Caucasian male donor available which some say is between 5-8k but that of course can vary