Is such asymmetry common with hairloss?

Hi folks. 

Have often read that mpb can be  asymmetrical,  with one side being ahead of the other. However I seem to be taking this to a new level. 

My left side has been diffusing for the past 6 or 7 years, maybe more. Whereas my right is more or less un touched by balding.

I reckon I've now lost 50% density in the red zone shown in the picture, this taken a few days ago with it about an inch and a 1/4 long hair on top. The equivalent blue zone on the right is years ahead of my left. Unless it catches up (which I don't want) My left side will be totally bald in 3 or 4 years and my right will still have a lot of hair?

Perhaps the good members on here can comment as there seems to be some very knowledgeable people here.

I've never had my hair looked at but sometimes wonder if there's something else at play with my hair? The red zone also gets itchy and slightly painful at times, hair is dry and poor quality and falls out easily.

I started a low dose of fin over a week ago, not sure if it's the drug for me or not but I'll keep going for now.

Up until that this is my natural hair till 36.5 years of age, which I know isn't bad. Still think it could get much worse in the years ahead.

Tldr: is one sided hairloss common to this extent or should I get checked for underlying conditions?

2115768395_Screenshot_20220828-161851_VideoPlayer.jpg.499bf5a70ece9969f7d45ebb9f4814fe.jpg

1534017341_Screenshot_20220828-162107_VideoPlayer.jpg.8acd8d2044afe82c6a7ff0e4638fba47.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-164643_Gallery.jpg.cbb8ca8112530be159010b58bfa83af2.jpg

• Moderators

This is totally normal. There's certainly not a "new level" here. Many people with frontal loss have more loss on one side.

• Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

2 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

This is totally normal. There's certainly not a "new level" here. Many people with frontal loss have more loss on one side.

Thanks. Not been in here long but been on other forums and reddit for years and never really saw someone losing hair so much on one side without the other. I assume the right is guaranteed to catch up at some point?

Suppose the pictures don't really show the whole story. 

Red zone: dry, low quality hair, easily removed and thinning. Itchy inflamed scalp.

Blue area no itch, healthy scalp, shiny healthy thick hair, not easily removed.

I suppose its just the way it is

10 minutes ago, FixMyHair213 said:

youve been an nw1 for your whole life. with medication I don't see you balding further. also thats completely normal, in my hair the right temple has completely gone but i have my temple on the left side. 

Thanks, been very lucky. Dad was pretty bald by 35 and maternal grandfather had receded to a strong nw3. But never lost his crown.

I wouldn't say I'm nw1, maybe 2, my hairline is m shaped, quiet low in the centre but receded corners. Think I have a persistent forelock developing as my thinning is going round behind it.

I'm trying meds, we will see how that goes.

Failing that given my age is a ht possible say in a few years without meds? 

So far I've not had any crown or vertex loss but I don't know how long that will hold without fin

H125.jpg.3778b6a84ed09c7a9efee74b5eaf891c.jpg

looks more like a matured hairline. still very nice especially considering your age. HT is possible without meds but hairloss is progressive so theres always a chance of it going further back. An example is an f1 racer called sebastian vettel, he went from nw2 to nw5 in like 2-3 years.

9 minutes ago, FixMyHair213 said:

looks more like a matured hairline. still very nice especially considering your age. HT is possible without meds but hairloss is progressive so theres always a chance of it going further back. An example is an f1 racer called sebastian vettel, he went from nw2 to nw5 in like 2-3 years.

Thanks again. Yes I'm happy with my hairline, just don't like the thinning. No point transplanting hair to my thinning area now because I'll only lose the hair that's there.

If I retain my crown and vertex like my mother's dad I suppose a ht at the front without med would work. 

Wish I knew where it was going be so much easier knowing what to do

• Valued Contributor

It's not just MPB. If you look, most people have an asymmetrical hairline. I know I did as a teen prior to MPB. My left side was always slightly higher than my right side. Also when MPB began my right side was always slightly stronger.

• Like 3

In all likelihood, you are not going to go bald, particularly since you started fin. If you do opt to get a procedure, it'll be one of those perfectionist jobs, more to satisfy your own high standard than to cover any sort of 'hairloss' visible to the average layman. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StillAlive said:

In all likelihood, you are not going to go bald, particularly since you started fin. If you do opt to get a procedure, it'll be one of those perfectionist jobs, more to satisfy your own high standard than to cover any sort of 'hairloss' visible to the average layman. 

Maybe I'm not going full nw6 but I'm not sure I'd say I'm not going bald. I'm not worried about my hairline, it's been m shaped all my life.

The problem area is the diffusion going inwards behind the left corner. This isn't replicated on the right, certainly not visually. The hair quality between each side is like night and day.

If I continue to lose in the red area then its going to get pretty obvious soon.

Couple of pics, one wet and one dry.

I'm just a bit confused why I'm diffusing on the left for years but not the right. 

1831188103_Screenshot_20220829-123452_VideoPlayer.jpg.bf32f49a18107840cefc8a566c8af842.jpg

H129.jpg.01c9d22d6f672b435e90dd97a3cf7f94.jpg

Edited by jr1986

Took a couple of new pictures showing the difference between right and left. I am thinking of trying topical minoxidil with needling to see if I can get some regrowth. I'm on a low dose of fin but not sure if I'm going to be able to take it long term as I am experiencing some side effects. (Only been on it for 2 weeks)

I'd like to get into my 40s before considering a transplant, I've added a pic of my donor which looks sort of okay, maybe someone can pass judgement. 

If I'm not going past nw3-4 then maybe a transplant without fin is possible in a few years.

Thanks for reading

1882635160_Screenshot_20220902-084851_VideoPlayer.jpg.22d311837bdabcbcff043de5c45e2026.jpg

2028889084_Screenshot_20220902-085235_VideoPlayer.jpg.c9fc7b1497088c7dfcb55d204f71c690.jpg270366554_Screenshot_20220902-085129_VideoPlayer.jpg.f6f71a83657ee2df5f2cbe1b98b7341d.jpg

324563858_Screenshot_20220902-090235_VideoPlayer.jpg.f2d16ed6fa88ea22c32cc6ffb8638ada.jpg

Edited by jr1986

25 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

MPB can really occur in any pattern to small extent. Have you considered seeing a dermatologist to look at your left side?

I have, just not looked into it. I don't really want to go through my gp as they have enough on their plate and doubt they would be interested in a mid 30s man with hairloss. I may look into private clinics Iif they exist. Happy to pay for proper advice.

The right side is basically guaranteed to catch up in the end isn't it?