Is hair loss prescription medication necessary after FUE

I’m sure there are many topics already about this but - can newly transplanted hair be affected by whatever is causing your baldness ? Or is that newly transplanted hair there for good?  I really just don’t want to take a medication every day for the rest of my life. I took fin for a while and my hair was definitely thicker when I was taking it but I don’t want to start again unless it’s absolutely necessary to protect my newly transplanted hair 

• Like 1

If you go to a reputable clinic and your grafts are taking from the 'safe' donor area, that hair is more or less permanent (it may be affected and become thinner in your old age but it should never fall outright. Think of the thinner appearance of an older gentleman's hair when compared to the full head of a 20 year old, even at comparable Norwoods) and no finasteride is required to retain it. 

Surgeons recommend fin to younger patients in order to maintain their existing hair so the transplant looks good for as long as possible. If for example you do your hairline and front and hair continues falling out behind it, you'll end up with a weird 'bald island' in the middle. Finasteride can help prevent that, depending on your age and degree of hairloss. 

As with everything, there is no one size fits all approach. 

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Royce said:

can newly transplanted hair be affected by whatever is causing your baldness ?

Absolutely! You want to prevent senile alopecia as you age (which is the 'thinner' appearance that StillAlive was alluding to). Unless you are having side effects from the medication and no benefits (and from what you have stated it sounds like you are benefiting from the drug) then I strongly recommend staying on finasteride. See it as another daily hassle as washing your hair, getting a hair cut, using shampoo, etc. If you don't want to then I totally respect that. However after a couple of trials of finasteride I would personally love to be able to take the drug and benefit from it. All the best!

• Like 1

Well I am not too sure Propecia has any effect on senile alopecia. Gping back to the original question, I would say it is highly recommendable to get on some kind of hair loss prevention treatment before and after a HT. That does not always have to be propecia, it would depend on the specifics of the case at hand.  

19 hours ago, Royce said:

I’m sure there are many topics already about this but - can newly transplanted hair be affected by whatever is causing your baldness ? Or is that newly transplanted hair there for good?  I really just don’t want to take a medication every day for the rest of my life. I took fin for a while and my hair was definitely thicker when I was taking it but I don’t want to start again unless it’s absolutely necessary to protect my newly transplanted hair 

Unfortunately, if you don't want to grace your head with a gillette mach 5, you're going to be on fin for the rest of your life like a lot of others including myself. Unless, a new medication comes out that replaces it but this is what there is at the moment, just fin. 

I don't think it's necessary to protect your new hair but to keep the hair around it from succumbing to MPB.  

• Like 2

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

• Valued Contributor
9 hours ago, Mike10 said:

Well I am not too sure Propecia has any effect on senile alopecia. Gping back to the original question, I would say it is highly recommendable to get on some kind of hair loss prevention treatment before and after a HT. That does not always have to be propecia, it would depend on the specifics of the case at hand.  

Senile alopecia is the miniaturization of hair, most prominently in the donor area. Finasteride would therefore be of benefit as with all MPB.

8 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Senile alopecia is the miniaturization of hair, most prominently in the donor area. Finasteride would therefore be of benefit as with all MPB.

My thoughts wwere that senile alopecia is different than androgenetic alopecia. For senile the culpbrit is not DHT. Propecia acts on DHT. I am not sure my thoughts are correct though

• Like 1